Main Menu

BOSS CE1 PROJECT: MN3002 or TDA1022P: DOC UPLOADED

Started by drog_trog, March 14, 2018, 06:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

somnif

Quote from: midwayfair on March 16, 2018, 08:42:53 PM
Two watts?  :o

How much current does this thing draw?

i would just drop +-15V and drop it with diodes.

I know the original model actually had a 3W requirement listed per Boss's documentation, BUT it also ran on a wall socket plug, had a big brick of a transformer in it, and dumps 18V AC across a bridge rectifier.  The circuit itself just has a handful of op-amps and transistors to feed, plus the BBD. Doesn't even have a clock chip, uses descrete components there.

Can't find anything actually listing a current draw for the pedal though, annoyingly.  :-\

midwayfair

Quote from: somnif on March 16, 2018, 08:59:45 PM
Can't find anything actually listing a current draw for the pedal though, annoyingly.  :-\

Does your meter have a current function?

Scruffie would probably know, but I'm guessing somewhere around 20-30mA for the whole pedal, can probably figure out wattage from there.

somnif

Quote from: midwayfair on March 16, 2018, 09:30:26 PM

Scruffie would probably know, but I'm guessing somewhere around 20-30mA for the whole pedal, can probably figure out wattage from there.

Oh I don't have access to a unit, I just looked up a service manual when I was digging for a schematic the other day. Saw a unit in a shop once, though..... they wanted the better part of a grand for the thing.

The owners manual: https://reverb.com/download/147 

I agree that I would expect a draw in the ~20ish mA range, given the schematic. But who knows! Maybe the wattage was listed for a reason I can't see, I'm a semi-coherent ape when it comes to electrical engineering.

kaeisy

Ordered two TDA1022s yesterday, hehe.
I also don't get why per example a Road Rage shouldn't be able to do the job delivering a 15v output from a 9v input.

drog_trog

Quote from: midwayfair on March 16, 2018, 08:42:53 PM
Two watts?  :o

How much current does this thing draw?

i would just drop +-15V and drop it with diodes.

I can't remember the current draw I will check next time I've got it out. Yes the dc converter used in the retro sonic chorus is 2W, I thought it was low when I found that out as I would have thought it had been 3W. Plus the retro sonic chorus actually uses 1/8W resistors, I've managed to find space for the 1/4W so I've just kept them at that and it's what most of us use. Yea I was going to drop it with diodes.

Scruffie

Quote from: midwayfair on March 16, 2018, 09:30:26 PM

One of the few vintage units i've never had my hands on or enough interest to breadboard but I would suspect 20-30mA is about right.

Personally rather than struggle through all these powering and BBD availability issues i'd just redesign the thing to run off single supply 15V, make it a little more guitar friendly and use the TDA1022 exclusively, not like we need 28V of headroom for guitar or anything.
Works at Lectric-FX

drog_trog

Quote from: kaeisy on March 17, 2018, 02:00:35 AM
Ordered two TDA1022s yesterday, hehe.
I also don't get why per example a Road Rage shouldn't be able to do the job delivering a 15v output from a 9v input.

Yea it can be done with charge pump but space is the issue, maybe do 2 boards and connect them together via pins(like Aions blueshift does)

blearyeyes

I've never seen that pedal. Wonder if there are any youtubers with one. Hmm. I'd love to build one. Count me in for a PCB if/when available..

somnif

Quote from: blearyeyes on March 18, 2018, 08:12:17 PM
I've never seen that pedal. Wonder if there are any youtubers with one. Hmm. I'd love to build one. Count me in for a PCB if/when available..

Its got a lovely tone, but the tricky thing is, the control scheme is kinda limited. In chorus mode you get 1 knob to twiddle, "Intensity", which is sort of a mix of rate and depth. In vibrato you get 2 separate controls, but it cuts most of the dry signal out so you get more warble, less wetness. Still chorus-y, but a bit limited.

In tone is very similar to the CE-2, but perhaps a bit "richer", and honestly that could have come down to input and output filtering to my ears.

(Then again my favorite chorus is my A/DA flanger, so maybe I'm just weird)

blearyeyes

Thanks somnif.

https://youtu.be/qUpjDAJ-nEY

That Pedal Show. Around the middle of the video is the CE-1 CE-2 And the VFE Choral Reef. Wish they spent more time on the Choral Reef... gotta build the one I have...
If anyone wants to hear a comparison. CE-1 sounds great.

Hope to see chorus popular again. Well it’s popular in Blearyland!

drog_trog

Quote from: somnif on March 18, 2018, 08:32:02 PM
Quote from: blearyeyes on March 18, 2018, 08:12:17 PM

Its got a lovely tone, but the tricky thing is, the control scheme is kinda limited. In chorus mode you get 1 knob to twiddle, "Intensity", which is sort of a mix of rate and depth. In vibrato you get 2 separate controls, but it cuts most of the dry signal out so you get more warble, less wetness. Still chorus-y, but a bit limited.

In tone is very similar to the CE-2, but perhaps a bit "richer", and honestly that could have come down to input and output filtering to my ears.

(Then again my favorite chorus is my A/DA flanger, so maybe I'm just weird)

This ce1 project  can also be modded to include a depth knob for the chorus channel, I think I may add this as an option to the final board.

blearyeyes

The single knob control is kinda cool.  But adding a depth control was the first thing I thought about. Maybe a fine tune depth control kinda thing.

If you’re gonna use the TDA1022 I’ll have to scrounge a few up.

drog_trog

So here is the score, I have 4 boards left.
They work with the MN3002 and will need the required dc converter module.

it works great in mono, however I am having trouble getting the stereo to work. I cannot spend any more time on debugging the issue so if 4 other guys can build it and put their knowledge into it and get the stereo working then that would be great. I'm sure its only something very small that's causing the issue, I've tried my best guys, like I said, mono works brilliantly and it sounds really cool.
If you feel like you could dive into this then let me know.

These board I have left will be just $12 plus $6.50 for the DC Converter plus shipping(about $4.50 Worldwide) You will have to source your own MN3002 tho.

thesmokingman

as tempting as this is, its a bit much $$ for me to maybe be the first one to get it working. hope you get it figured out.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

kaeisy

I am still interested in purchasing a board, but have no MN3002, just a TDA1022.  You said you tested the TDA1022 with good results and wanted to make an expansion board. Do you have that or if not, can you give some information about making one, perhaps on perfboard? And would you send a schematic, parts list or even a build document to the ones to buy a prototype board?