News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Brutalist Jr. Fail

Started by eightysixbret, March 17, 2018, 02:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eightysixbret

Hey folks, I took a bit of time off from builds and have started up again. One of my first new projects was building a God City Instruments Brutalist, Jr, but I am about to toss it into the fail bin. Basically, signal passes fine when it's bypassed. When not by passed, all I get is white noise. If I run a signal generator out of my phone and into it, I hear the signal within the white noise. If I run a guitar, I don't get any guitar signal passing through. Running a probe through the circuit, I hear the same results. The voltages on the TL072s looks correct to me (~4.5v), but the signal generator tone going through the circuit seems weak.

I've replaced the switch, the TL072s, what I thought was a bad cap and a bad wire, but to no avail. Looking for any last-ditch hail mary ideas before I relegate this to kaput. Build guide is here:

http://www.kurtballou.com/brutalistjr/GCI_BrutalistJR_Instructions.pdf

Thanks in advance.

-Bret

sonnyboy27

If you have an audio probe then you can check the signal through the circuit to try and find where it goes wrong. It's saved my butt on a few builds and it's super easy to make.

If you have a looper pedal then that makes it even easier. Start a loop and have it run into the pedal, then use the audio probe to find where the signal dies.

eightysixbret

Thanks! Yeah the looper is a good idea. The signal generator is putting out a signal louder than a guitar, so it was hard to gauge where the sound was dropping out once I got a guitar plugged in.