Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

VFE back in stock

Started by madbean, March 20, 2018, 01:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fair.child

owwww.... it's happening!

Hirti

Thanks for putting out the Mobius Strip next. Was definitely one of the VFE pedals I was looking forward to building the most.

madbean

Quote from: Hirti on April 02, 2018, 05:28:44 PM
Thanks for putting out the Mobius Strip next. Was definitely one of the VFE pedals I was looking forward to building the most.

The Mobius is definitely cool. The way he implemented the dual feedback options is very clever (I wish I had thought of it!) The only thing I wish it had is two independent mix knobs instead of one master mix. But, that would not work for the standard VFE knob configuration. Anyway, I think people will enjoy it. It's a bit of a hard build, but worth it.

fair.child

Alright, do you plan to release Focus anytime soon, Brian?

zgrav

After checking out some youtube videos that demonstrate the pedal, I am looking forward to seeing the Mobius Strip build document.  Does it use readily available delay chips instead of the no-longer-in production chips like the MN3008 used in the Choral Reef?

sonnyboy27

Quote from: zgrav on April 03, 2018, 08:07:13 AM
After checking out some youtube videos that demonstrate the pedal, I am looking forward to seeing the Mobius Strip build document.  Does it use readily available delay chips instead of the no-longer-in production chips like the MN3008 used in the Choral Reef?

It uses PT2399 chips. The build doc is up if you want to check it out http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/VFE/VFE_MobiusStrip.pdf

zgrav

Thanks for the info. The Mobius Strip demo sounds like a lot more delay that I imagined you could get out of those 2399 chips.  Fortunately I already have a couple of those left over from another pedal build. 

madbean

Actually, it would be interesting to do a similar idea with MN3005. And, voice each delay line differently. I might look into that. Maybe do it in stereo do each delay goes to a separate amp. Might be awesome (and complicated).

zgrav

Very interesting idea to have a stereo out with different voicing, with both channels feeding one output if nothing else was plugged in to the other (like the Boss Digital Delay pedals).  Would also be interesting to see what the differences are between the PT2399 and the MN3005, although it could turn out that the sweet spot for rhythmic repeats is less than the half-second or so you can get from the 2399.

I looked at the build doc and I am consistently impressed at the way VFE stacks the parts while getting consistent placements for the pots and switches.  Using the inline strip sockets on each side of the memory chips to free up a bit more space under the board was a good choice -- otherwise I guess those parts could have been mounted from underneath.

Of course that appreciation for the part density on the VFE boards only came after it took me two builds on the Choral Reef to get a working board (poor cap size choices, and trying to use too many sockets for the chips).   : ^ )   

madbean

So, I realized this Deluxe Mobius idea is better suited for the FV-1 since it already has stereo outputs. Many fewer parts required. Drawing up the idea already :)

zgrav

Sounds like a fun project.  Looking forward to seeing how it develops.

madbean

Quote from: fair.child on April 02, 2018, 06:39:56 PM
Alright, do you plan to release Focus anytime soon, Brian?

Yes, although I do need to get a couple parts for it first. I'll see about including that in the next VFE release.

fair.child

I am envisioning Blueprint, Focus, and perhaps Springboard  8) 8) 8) My Mega Pedal will not be complete without Springboard  8)