News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

I can now officially make things with wood!

Started by stringsthings, March 21, 2018, 10:04:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stringsthings

Just ordered myself one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RK7323-Rockwell-BladeRunner-X2-Tabletop-Saw-COMBO/222014314981?_trkparms=pageci%3A06c3be3d-2cee-11e8-9f65-74dbd180081f%7Cparentrq%3A47fc65631620ab135b6ba63efff985de%7Ciid%3A1&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236

I've had my eye on this for a while now and the waiting has paid off.  With the coupon, the whole thing costs $80.  I don't really need the wall mount,
but the crosscut sled and the extra blades will come in handy.  I'll start off with some boxes to hold simple combo amps with 8"/10" speakers.
I've got a Tiny Giant that I put in a pre-made box with an 8" Jensen Mod and I use it for my bench amp.  Good clean sound and volume to spare. 
I think the first thing I'll build is a Tiny Giant combo with a different preamp circuit, and pair it with a 8"/10" speaker.

I haven't done any real woodwork since high school, so it will be lots of fun cutting up pieces of wood to make smaller pieces of wood!  :D
All You Need Is Love

EBK

For your reintroduction to woodworking, make a birdhouse amplifier cabinet!   ;D
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

trailer

I always wanted a table top saw or band saw for projects. Alas, I live in an apartment in midtown Atlanta. I barely get away with drilling enclosures in our common area outside. I do have a cheap jigsaw and have been considering building a pedal board but haven't found the right inspiration yet.

I second the bird house cabinet.

stringsthings

Quote from: EBK on March 21, 2018, 11:20:56 AM
For your reintroduction to woodworking, make a birdhouse amplifier cabinet!   ;D

:D  Classic woodworking joke FTW!!!
All You Need Is Love

stringsthings

Here's my new tabletop saw!  Delivered in record time!

And here's the first thing that I cut!  :D

It's a pretty neat little thing.  It was very straightforward to set up and begin cutting.
I was pretty surprised when it arrived today.  The crosscut sled and the wall mount will arrive next week. 
All You Need Is Love

mjg

That's neat.  I was expecting it to be more like a large circular saw blade, but it's more like a jigsaw?

Happy cutting!

gordo

Adorable and table saw don't normally get used in the same sentence.  But it is!  I like the vacuum port.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

stringsthings

Quote from: mjg on March 24, 2018, 09:39:40 PM
That's neat.  I was expecting it to be more like a large circular saw blade, but it's more like a jigsaw?

Happy cutting!

It's basically an inverted jigsaw.  I don't really have the space for a proper table saw, so this works out very well.
A few pedal specific things that this will do:  cut veroboard, perfboard, copper-clad.  Very pleased that I won't have to
use my dremel to cut copper-clad.  What a pain.
All You Need Is Love

TNblueshawk

I've been wanting to make a wood enclosure for a pedal for years. I just never bother to actually do it. You could do it with this me thinks.
John

alanp

Isn't that the same general type that Joerg Sprave of the Slingshot Channel likes to use?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

movinginslomo

Don't add flesh to the equation! Even people like Jimmy Diresta have cut off fingers with those things!

somnif

My favorite thing to make out of wood is more wood!

(I do tree plantings on weekends. The little saplings are cute  :P)

stringsthings

Here's the first official build with the new saw.

It's a case to hold a Music From Outer Space modular synth.  I'll post updates in "Misc DIY Stuff".
$20 of pine and some screws.  I'll probably finish it with tung oil.  Really pleased with how it turned out.
I've already got a great idea for another project:  a cat tower!
All You Need Is Love

thomasha

That's cool, and for that price! I can't cut a straight line with a saw, that would definitely help!

stringsthings

It's a really useful tool.  Especially if you don't have room/budget for a regular table saw.
I'm using it today to cut copper clad.  So much easier to use than my old
method of using a dremel wheel.  ( and makes much straighter edges )

I had been contemplating getting the saw for at least a year.  I couldn't be more pleased with the purchase.
All You Need Is Love