Any reasons not to use a colour laser printer for enclosure artwork

Started by Philtre, March 28, 2018, 03:10:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Quote from: Philtre on March 28, 2018, 11:05:05 AM
I wonder if it would be possible to print on shiny or satin paper with a colour laser printer and then just glue it to the top of the enclosure? Does the laser ink need to be protected with a clear coat or some kind of lacquer? (I'm looking for simpler alternatives to Envirotex or spraying clear coat on decals).
No, the laser ink is great, you can glue it, although I think it would tend to wrinkle. Another alternative will be to use clear rattle can paint over the decal to protect it and seal it in, I use rustoleum. You're starting to overthink things just a bit. In the spirit of DIY give it a shot and see how you like it, then show it off, you may start something new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Willybomb

If you print to Datapol you won't necessarily need to clear coat, although I still do.  It's basically bumper sticker stuff, but you have to get it lined up right or it will stretch when you try and get it off to fix it.  It won't work with an inkjet as it's waterproof, so it's laser only.

https://everylabels.com.au/datapol-synthetic-white-labels

Philtre

Those looks good, Willybomb.

Datapol seems to be an Aussie thing, can't find that in the UK.

What clear coat do you use?

Willybomb

I use Spraymax 1k if I can find it.  I've tried a few other things, but that seems to be the best.  Keep away from Rustoleum - it's horrible.

There would have to be something similar in the UK.  Go into your local printshop and ask for their waterproof sticker paper.

drog_trog

I think the resolution of laser isn't as good unless you get a high end one. I got mine of ebay in 2015 for £10 with free black toner secondhand and still using the toners that came with it!

stevie1556

For quite a long time I used a colour laser printer. I got the printer cheap as I think it was end of line, it was a Samsung (although I can't remember the model number). I used to powder coat an enclosure, put put the decal on, then when it had fully dried I then did a powder coat clear coat on top of it. Where the decal was put over the holes it disappeared with the heat from the oven, and the results were really good. never did use a spray can of clear lacquer over the top of them but from what I've seen on the internet they give good results as well.

r-nox

The nice thing about water slide is you can move it around when placing it.

The bad part is they need to be clear coated for protection.

Black water slide from my inkjet. I'd use a laser printer if I had one. No reason not to.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7rbmxKuCER69G14a2