News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Lotus Fuzz (Stomptown Harmonic Fuzz)

Started by Leevibe, April 15, 2018, 07:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leevibe

I've been working for about a year now on a really challenging build for a friend of a friend. the pedal is coming along but I'm waiting on some machining work that's taking longer than expected and I hated keeping this very patient guy waiting so I offered to build him something cool on my dime.

This is Stomptown's layout of the Harmonic Percolator. I've had the circuit built but not boxed for a very long time. I thought it would make a cool circuit for the purpose. It's such a fantastic sounding fuzz.

I've really gotten into 3D printing and I have a whole internal structure modeled and printed for the fancy pedal I'm working on. I realized that this pedal would benefit from the same type of thing on a smaller scale. I was able to create a 3D printed mounting piece to allow me to top mount signal and power jacks on a 1590B. It works great and it spaces the Lumberg jacks into the enclosure so they're not so sticky-outy. It's bugged me that I couldn't find any star washers to fit these jacks. This holds them in place and gives them the perfect inset. The power jack mounts directly to the printed part and just protrudes through a hole in the enclosure. No need to mount it to the case. I also created a bracket to mount the PCB to that's held in place by the stomp switch. Of course I also 3D printed drilling templates to make sure everything lines up precisely. This is such a fun way to work!

If anyone has a 3D printer and wants to try out the top mount setup just PM me and I'll send you STLs of the bracket and drilling template. If you want to design your own, Hammond and Lumberg offer STEP files of their jacks and enclosures. I was able to drop them right into Fusion 360 and model around them.

storyboardist

Dude that's awesome! Great looking build. PM incoming :D
Guy behind Effects Layouts

Stomptown

Looks great Lee!  I really did the control layout,  graphics and knob choice on this one.  And the 3D printing is just awesome.

diablochris6

I dig the subtle graphic on this, and the 3D printing is ingenious. Great job.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

alanp

I can not be the only one who saw that jig and thought, is that homemade fibreglass molding?!?!

Damn nice pedal there :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Aleph Null

Wow.  :o Graphic looks great. The 3D printed jig/template is some next level stuff.

mjg

The graphics look great - how did you get it looking so nice and shiny?  Is it envirotex finish?

Leevibe

Thanks friends!

Quote from: alanp on April 15, 2018, 10:02:54 PM
I can not be the only one who saw that jig and thought, is that homemade fibreglass molding?!?!

I printed it in "natural" PETG plastic, which is clear. It looks white once a few crisscrossing layers build up. It's just the spool of filament that I have loaded on the printer at the time. I was using it on another project because I thought it would be stronger than black because sometimes the pigments can affect strength. It wouldn't have mattered in this application. Yeah, I see what you mean about it looking like fiberglass.

Quote from: mjg on April 16, 2018, 03:20:14 PM
The graphics look great - how did you get it looking so nice and shiny?  Is it envirotex finish?

Yep. Good old envirotex. The graphic is on a kind of chrome sticky material that I printed on with laser toner. I now wish I had been more persistent and tried more print settings. I think I could have gotten a print without the streaks you can see in it.

287m

bookmarked. I love your style, your way to do.
and triggered to buy caliper  ;)

Leevibe

Quote from: 287m on April 16, 2018, 06:17:15 PM

Thanks Febri. I really appreciate it.

DO get a digital caliper! I can recommend this one because it's the one I have experience with. It gets great reviews, it's very affordable, and I don't know how I ever got along without one.

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

EBK

Quote from: Leevibe on April 16, 2018, 06:26:04 PM
Quote from: 287m on April 16, 2018, 06:17:15 PM

Thanks Febri. I really appreciate it.

DO get a digital caliper! I can recommend this one because it's the one I have experience with. It gets great reviews, it's very affordable, and I don't know how I ever got along without one.
I have the same (almost) digital caliper.  Mine is the "absolute origin" version, which costs 50% more, but is probably not 50% better. It is absolutely one of the most useful tools I own.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

pickdropper

This is fantastic.  I really dig it. 
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Leevibe

Quote from: juansolo on April 19, 2018, 09:06:56 AM
Like that a lot!

That's good because it's got a trick or two lifted from your play book.   8)

Quote from: EBK on April 19, 2018, 09:36:53 AM

I have the same (almost) digital caliper.  Mine is the "absolute origin" version, which costs 50% more, but is probably not 50% better. It is absolutely one of the most useful tools I own.

Yeah, that one looks pretty sweet too. I thought about it but went cheapie. I haven't been disappointed with it. I use it all the time.

junkemail86