News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

SLOW LORRIS LED CLIPPING Question

Started by Circuitjerk, April 22, 2018, 07:47:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Circuitjerk

Has anyone used any colors of LED's other than red on the slow Loris? Also do both clipping diodes light up when the signal is passing through, or only one? I would like to make the clipping diodes visible through the enclosure - but obviously only if there is some action to see!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ahiddentableau

Using different colour LEDs only makes an audible difference if the forward voltage of the other coloured diodes have a different forward voltage than the ones you're currently using.  So you have to check the datasheets of the particular brands you're considering in order to tell if it's going to matter.  Also, there can be a certain amount of variation among units of the same brand/size/colour.  The only way to know that is to measure the devices via a test circuit or testing device.

As far as the lighting up is concerned, that will depend on the threshold of the build.  I would assume that they will give a brief flicker since that's what most LEDs used as hard clipping diodes in that type of circuit does.  But don't expect a light show: the lighting up in that situation is usually pretty mild.

The only way to know for sure will be to build it and see.  This is a prime example of the "rock it before you box it" adage.  Build it before you put it in your enclosure, set it up, turn off the lights and you'll know soon enough.

Good luck!

madbean

Both LEDs will light when playing. I suppose you could try other colors of LED but red diffused is very common for that type of clipping and sound very good.

chromesphere

Visual example of both LEDS lighting up in the slow loris below.  Depends on the Fv as the others have said.  There needs to be enough voltage to light up both from what I have seen.  Also one tends to be brighter then the other in most situations:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IZY2yn6xik
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

Gristlepig

My experiences have been best with red leds. Yellow have been okay, and blue (higher forward voltage) barely clipped at all. There's a great thread  at diystompboxes from 2010 which was super helpful when I had the same questions.  www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=85219.0

But feel free to socket and experiment!