Author Topic: W1MC Question  (Read 681 times)

fair.child

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
W1MC Question
« on: April 25, 2018, 11:55:01 AM »
So, the documentation mentioned to replace the W1MC with B1M, however Peter Patreon page and Ralf earlier post mentioned to lower it to B100K. Which one is this true? I am a little bit confused. Should I use the B1M or B100k as replacement of W1MC?

Ralfg

• Solder Ninja
  • Ralf
    • View Profile
Re: W1MC Question
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 01:08:28 PM »
That info came from Peter when I emailed him. I havenít finished the build myself. I do think you might be able to buy the correct pot from Peter. I believe he said that once on the patron page.
Dr. Von Fuzzbrauer @ Rocket Surgeon Effects Pedals
https://www.smallspacesband.com/

fair.child

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 01:12:24 PM »
He's quite busy with his stuffs at the moment. I also saw the notes from Patreon doc. It says use B100K for replacing W1M[C]. However, the doc says to use B1M. I need to know which pot I should use for replacement. Theoretically, the 1M Linear will give broader range than B100K. Last year, I did Alpha dog and Pale horse using B1M. It worked well. Now, I was wondering whether there is much much difference with B100K.

Ralfg

• Solder Ninja
  • Ralf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 07:41:43 PM »
all I can say is... try em both, pick the best one and post it here  ;D
Dr. Von Fuzzbrauer @ Rocket Surgeon Effects Pedals
https://www.smallspacesband.com/

madbean

• Administrator
  • Electron Doctor
  • Brian
    • View Profile
    • madbeanpedals
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 08:56:12 AM »
Neither value is wrong but I can see why he might suggest 100k. The 1MB might give you less "in-between" blend of diode pairs because of the different taper but more distinction at the extremes (fully off, in the middle, fully on) than a 100kB. The 100kB probably does the opposite - more blend of diode pairs in between the extremes.

After I ran out of the WIMC pots I just used 1M so that's what I put in the doc. Only way to know if you prefer one over the other is to try. Pretty easy to do - solder in some wires to the PCB temporarily and run those to a breadboard where you can swap between the two pot values.
I own madbeanpedals (duh). I am part owner of Function F(X).

fair.child

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 12:10:47 PM »
Thanks for chiming in, Brian. I'll stick with B1M, I found it's the best result so far.

zgrav

• Stompbox Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 01:40:39 PM »
maybe even try 500K if you have one sitting around.