News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

W1MC Question

Started by fair.child, April 25, 2018, 10:55:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fair.child

So, the documentation mentioned to replace the W1MC with B1M, however Peter Patreon page and Ralf earlier post mentioned to lower it to B100K. Which one is this true? I am a little bit confused. Should I use the B1M or B100k as replacement of W1MC?

Ralfg

That info came from Peter when I emailed him. I haven't finished the build myself. I do think you might be able to buy the correct pot from Peter. I believe he said that once on the patron page.
Dr. Von Fuzzbrauer @ Rocket Surgeon Effects Pedals
https://www.smallspacesband.com/

fair.child

He's quite busy with his stuffs at the moment. I also saw the notes from Patreon doc. It says use B100K for replacing W1M[C]. However, the doc says to use B1M. I need to know which pot I should use for replacement. Theoretically, the 1M Linear will give broader range than B100K. Last year, I did Alpha dog and Pale horse using B1M. It worked well. Now, I was wondering whether there is much much difference with B100K.

Ralfg

all I can say is... try em both, pick the best one and post it here  ;D
Dr. Von Fuzzbrauer @ Rocket Surgeon Effects Pedals
https://www.smallspacesband.com/

madbean

Neither value is wrong but I can see why he might suggest 100k. The 1MB might give you less "in-between" blend of diode pairs because of the different taper but more distinction at the extremes (fully off, in the middle, fully on) than a 100kB. The 100kB probably does the opposite - more blend of diode pairs in between the extremes.

After I ran out of the WIMC pots I just used 1M so that's what I put in the doc. Only way to know if you prefer one over the other is to try. Pretty easy to do - solder in some wires to the PCB temporarily and run those to a breadboard where you can swap between the two pot values.

fair.child

Thanks for chiming in, Brian. I'll stick with B1M, I found it's the best result so far.

zgrav

maybe even try 500K if you have one sitting around.

flippabotamatic

Im building the VFE Fiery Red Horse and there is a W1M pot on the compressor circuit. Are there any thoughts on how this will respond with a B1M, B100K or B500K?

...and why can't we just have these W tapers?!?!?

Aentons

Quote from: flippabotamatic on June 19, 2020, 11:50:44 AM
Im building the VFE Fiery Red Horse and there is a W1M pot on the compressor circuit. Are there any thoughts on how this will respond with a B1M, B100K or B500K?

...and why can't we just have these W tapers?!?!?

Here are the VFE notes from their DIY sale a while back:

Fiery Red Horse - replace W1M with B100k
B1M will have the full range of the control, but will be difficult to dial in, as much of the sweep will happen near either end of the pots range.
B100k will be smoother, but not have as wide of range.

To my knowledge, all the 9mm pots are all B taper, so why we dont have W is probably the same reason we dont have A, which would be that the adjustment range is to coarse to matter to most