News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What to do in Portland, OR

Started by icecycle66, April 25, 2018, 10:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leevibe

You can come hang out with me. I'm only a half hour away. I'll warn your though, I'm no fun. Haha.

Aristatertotle

Coffee, food, and beer! Almost everywhere we ate was good.

When my wife and I visited Portland a few years back we walked by voodoo without knowing it and saw it had a stupid long line. Like 3 blocks. Then we saw what people got and eh, didn't look that great.

The Japanese style garden there is pretty cool too. It's right next to the rose test gardens. Great place if you need to chill out. I don't think it's free though.

Also plus one on Powell's. No joke take some books and sell them there for store credit, they actually buy at decent rates (at least better than around here).

Stomptown

Quote from: jubal81 on April 26, 2018, 02:01:13 PM
There was another thread here about a fun electronic bits supply store called SurplusGizmos.

http://www.surplusgizmos.com/

I was going to recommend this.  If your interested in Germanium diodes and transistors you'll have to ask to see them since they are kept behind the counter. I would also avoid voodoo doughnuts.  If you want the experience go to the bakery at the grocery store, buy a doughnut, and dump some captain crunch on top. Or a strip of bacon...

Quote from: Matmosphere on April 26, 2018, 03:56:17 AM
Find the dude from stomptown Electronics and trick him into selling boards again.

If only I could find the time and motivation.  :)

jubal81

Can say I had one of the top 5 meals of my life in Portland at Fogo de Chão Brazilian steakhouse.

Now that I looked it up, I'm going to be daydreaming about it for days...
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

midwayfair

I can vouch for Powell's books, hanging out with Leevibe, and the Japanese garden. The garden Portland is really beautiful, and we also had lunch and tea at the teahouse there.

The zoo was fun, but you live near DC now, so every other zoo is really kinda second fiddle.

Leevibe

Quote from: midwayfair on April 26, 2018, 09:30:47 PM
I can vouch for Powell's books, hanging out with Leevibe, and the Japanese garden. The garden Portland is really beautiful, and we also had lunch and tea at the teahouse there.

The zoo was fun, but you live near DC now, so every other zoo is really kinda second fiddle.

I seem to remember you grabbing a cup of tea at Multnomah Falls too. That was a nice little spin.

lars

Ah, and on a guitar-related note, you need to visit:  Centaur Guitar, 2833 NE Sandy Blvd, Portland, OR 97232. Great shop.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

icecycle66

Multnomah Falls and the book store both sound interesting. 

I'm taking the workshop offered by MIchael Fox.
http://www.americanschooloflutherie.com/

I'm in the Electric Guitar and Bass class.

From less than scratch is essentially from before the design.  We start with a blank piece of paper.  Design our guitar, then start making it from piles of raw material and a bag of shit from All Parts.

icecycle66

Also, we haven't had a day of work less than 11 hours so far. Tomorrow is the last day.

My guitar has already taken the blood of three men.

matmosphere

Sounds like a cool class. We're gonna need some pics when it's all done :)

I didn't know you moved to DC. What part of town are you in?

TNblueshawk

I go once a year for biz and drink beer and eat downtown somewhere but then I'm a sucker for craft beer and high calorie food when I'm traveling. Come to think of it I do that in every city I go too  :P
John

movinginslomo

Quote from: icecycle66 on April 27, 2018, 11:46:02 PM
Also, we haven't had a day of work less than 11 hours so far. Tomorrow is the last day.

My guitar has already taken the blood of three men.

We better see the final result posted here!