News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New mancave and drillpress. Happy days are here again!

Started by Willybomb, April 29, 2018, 06:07:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willybomb

We've just moved house last monday, and while there's still a bit to be done, I picked up a cheap drillpress and set it up in my new mancave today (It's pretty much exactly that.  It's a cave with shelves, a bench, and some inadequate lighting).

I haven't drilled anything or finished a project since last year, so I'm looking forward to getting some stuff done in between changing nappies and working.

It's nothing special, but it seems to go through enclosures quite nicely with my old step bit.  I haven't had to use any lube on it yet, but I'm sure that will change.  It's not as hardcore as my grandfather's old thing, but this one lives with me!

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-350w-5-speed-bench-drill-press_p6290173

gordo

Good score! Drill press can be a real game changer and makes working enclosures so much easier.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

blearyeyes

A man needs his cave and his cave needs a drill press!

chromesphere

Cool Willy, that drill press looks a lot like mine, also bought at Bunnings, cost me about the same.   Its good enough for small metal enclosures and wood.  I have used it extensively, was money well spend!
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

alanp

For that money, it's a no-brainer.

Drill presses are a gift from God, compared to hand-held drills, at least for our needs. I use the one in Dad's shed that Grandad put together himself :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Willybomb

I was using my Grandfather's drill press that had been located to my dad's house, but I haven't really had any access to it for over a year since I moved interstate.  That thing was a beast.

The local hackerspace has one, but at $35 a month (I did a *lot* of builds on it) when all I really needed was the drill press, well, this will pay for itself in no time.

somnif

Quote from: Willybomb on April 30, 2018, 04:00:10 AM
I was using my Grandfather's drill press that had been located to my dad's house, but I haven't really had any access to it for over a year since I moved interstate.  That thing was a beast.

The local hackerspace has one, but at $35 a month (I did a *lot* of builds on it) when all I really needed was the drill press, well, this will pay for itself in no time.

Yeah my local makerspace has a press as well, but are only open to the public (well, white straight male public) 4 days a month, and only for a few hours on those days. I've managed to fit my schedule to it once, but its not exactly convenient.

Willybomb

I had 24 hour access with a keyfob with my membership, but they changed from paypal monthly memberships when I needed it to a recurring monthly credit card membership.  Didn't have the value for money for me, even though they had  laser engraver and a few 3d printers.

mrclean77

Harbor Freight drill press is the only thing that beats my auto wire stripper for the 'tools I would now sell my soul for' category.

somnif

Quote from: mrclean77 on May 01, 2018, 03:07:48 AM
Harbor Freight drill press is the only thing that beats my auto wire stripper for the 'tools I would now sell my soul for' category.

Oh I could afford one. Not easily but I could budget for it. The problem is I live in an apartment the size of a mosquitoe's suitcase, no place to put the damn thing!

EBRAddict

For pedal making a drill press makes a huge difference. I bought a Sears Craftsman smaller press like that.

My local makerspace is $60/mo. They do have a lot of stuff, but that seems fairly steep for what I'd get out of it.

Willybomb

QuoteFor pedal making a drill press makes a huge difference. I bought a Sears Craftsman smaller press like that.

There's no way I could have done Leviathan with a hand drill and gotten it as square as it is.