News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Stage Fright - Massive Gain Increase / Oscillations

Started by DavidHamiltonUK, May 06, 2018, 09:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidHamiltonUK

I've lurked on here for a little while, but this is officially my first post, so hey everybody..

.. sadly it is not under positive circumstances though. I've just finished populating my stage fright and something weird is up with it, for the life of me I can't track down what the issue is. I've tried a few of the normal things, re-flowed solder to all my connections etc, but nothing seems to make a difference. Essentially what I hear when the pedal is engaged is either, with the depth at its minimum, a massive increase in gain, louder than any overdrive or boost pedal I own, or with the depth knob at pretty much any other position, high pitched wailing oscillations. Remarkably unpleasant.

As a side note, my controls certainly seem to be doing the correct thing, the speed knob seems to move through the correct speed range, the 5/6 toggle has an audible effect upon the oscillations and the depth knob, whilst mostly unusable, is clearly affecting the sound, the same goes for the trimmer too.

Anybody know where to start with this?

Scruffie

Sounds like an incorrect resistor value somewhere to me, i'd post photos of your board to see if anyone can spot it.
Works at Lectric-FX

DavidHamiltonUK

Thanks man! Totally pointed me in the right direction, went through the resistors one by one, eventually found a 33Ω in place of a 33k, not even sure how I managed that one, what a fool. Sounds amazing now though. Sincerest thanks one more time!

blearyeyes

Pretty common mistake. You're not a fool! Try peppering your whole board with the wrong value.