News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Snack shack diode wires thickness

Started by 401waterman, September 27, 2011, 10:37:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

401waterman

I'm trying to put the diode into the Snack Shack PCB but the wires are too thick!

How does everyone fit oversized wires into their PCB's? I was thinking of soldering smaller wires connecting to the diode and have it hang off the side of the PCB--tucked away and shielded...

I don't want to damage any parts!

sgmezei

I have had that problem with 1n4001 diodes and their type. They have a thicker lead which is too big for certain PCB's I have worked on.

Your idea should work although it seems like a lot of extra time. In the past I have used my "good cutters" to slice the end of the lead diagonally or at an angle. This allowed me to get a large portion to pass through.
So take the lead and snip it like this:

IIII                      IIII
IIII       ------>     III
IIII                      III
IIII                      II
IIII                      I

leave some extra room in case you mess up. I found it tricky. You can use some pliers to compress the lead if it squashes or flattens out on the end.

Does that make sense?
I am sure you will get some more input from others on here

Sigesmundninja

"there, I fixed it"-method...

fasten the diod in a electric Screw gun or drill by one lead. Full throttle and pinch a piece of sanding paper around the orher lead!  :)

safety googles is recomended!

TNblueshawk

You could also use a dremmel and just file it down. Pretty easy.
John

401waterman

madbean

Is this the standard black casing 1n4001 you are using? The board would have been drilled with either a #65 or #67 bit, which I have never had a problem fitting a diode lead into. I'm surprised! Sorry that you had trouble :(

In this situation, you can also use an Xacto knife to trim the lead thickness.

jkokura

I use a dremel to make the PCB holes a little bigger sometimes.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals