News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mouser opens 'new' office in Canada

Started by davent, May 10, 2018, 01:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

cooder

Still waiting for them to open a new or any kind of office in my neighborhood, walking distance please.
In the meantime I might ask you to do the shopping for me... I'll invite you for dinner one of those days. I know that food and dark chocolate are your soft spots. ;)
BigNoise Amplification

ahiddentableau

It's encouraging that they seem to be taking their Canadian business more seriously lately.  My experience has been much the same as yours, broadly positive.  The only complaint I have is that I still I have no idea how their free shipping is supposed to work.  Every time I make an order it's over a hundred bucks, and every time I'm somehow uneligible for free shipping. 

I guess it's a small gripe given the convenience and selection they offer, but there's something infuriating about being promised something and then not getting it!

davent

Quote from: cooder on May 10, 2018, 10:40:36 PM
Still waiting for them to open a new or any kind of office in my neighborhood, walking distance please.
In the meantime I might ask you to do the shopping for me... I'll invite you for dinner one of those days. I know that food and dark chocolate are your soft spots. ;)

Food and dark chocolate, i'm in!

Not sure of just what a local office might actually entail. They do show twenty plus regional offices across the globe. I'm guessing everything's still shipping out of Texas but since i last ordered and it's been quite some time, the free shipping threshold has dropped from $200 to $100.

Everything packed away and woodworking has taken over the space for the time being.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

cooder

I'm sure your wood working will look fabulous... what are you making?
BigNoise Amplification

davent

This began a while ago when i bought a pine tele body with plans to just buy all the pieces necessary to do it partscaster. Opened up the box when it arrived, saw the unfinished wood, the sweet smell of the pine, no way was i going to buy a neck, start simple i'll make my own. Have all i need in wood and supplies to finish the guitar except pickups.

So far wood working towards the project, overhauled my workbench, levelled the top, built out the front to a single plane with dog holes up each leg and across the face of the top so have a myriad of clamping options to the face.Added a face vise, built a few bench hooks, shooting boards, made a few bench dogs. Still going to be drilling dog holes in the bench top once i figure a pattern that makes sense to me.

Replaced bearings in router and rebuilding router table, all that's left is to wire up the big safety switch i bought the missing bits for yesterday.

Made a drillpress table with fence and t-channel for holddowns and the like.

Neck router template - done.

Fret bender from left over metal bits & wood, bought  a couple sliding door pulleys/wheels.

All this has been going on for too long. I do have the truss rod channel routed in my maple neck blank.

All my photobucket stuff is being held ransom so new pics...

(black paper)

dave

cooder

Dave, that looks amazing and I demand (politely ask) that you open a thread in Guitar building as this will be delightful to watch and what we see will be bench mark stuff for DIY labour of love perfection.
It really shouldn't be under "Mouser opens office... " thread...

The fret wire bender looks perfect Dave style fit for a Smithsonians exhibit. Very nice.
I'm really looking forward to seeing this coming together... keep us in the loop and I'm extra glad your woodwork is guitar related.

What does your neck template look like?

Also: what timber is the fret board and are you planning inlay stuff?

Pickups I would recommend to give Timbo / Sunday Handwired a buzz, I have a set in my Tele which I built many moons ago and I love the guitar and the pickups. My number 1 axe.
BigNoise Amplification

davent

Thanks Stephan!

I'd started a thread for it, as this is a long ago started little project, but it all was in pre-photobucket-ransom days so all the photo links are dead. Today i can see the photobucket pictures on it, i've an app installed is suppose to allow links to be seen but at the same time have had ransomed links/pictures appear and disappear then appear again, so no idea whats up with photobucket.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=23123.0

Fretboard in the picture is bocote which is a Mexican wood, but i also have a couple pieces of rosewood, couple ebony and a pau ferro. The bocote is the looker. I was thinking of simple dot markers but then i couldn't come up with a material that would complement the wood figure so the plan now is the bind the board with ebony i have and then use side markers, that's what i see anyways.

For the template i found a file of many Fender headstocks and the one i've gone with is labelled as - 72 Thinline, 72 Custom, Muddy Waters, 50's Esquire, CP Baja. Made the nut width 1 11/16" and i haven't rounded the body end corners of the neck, plan to leave them sharp.

Pre-overhauled workbench...
Painted my template material white then glued a printout of the headstock onto it and layed out the rest of the neck.

Still in the pick up weeds, not even sure what i want but i'll keep Timbo in mind.

dave

Well i tried to upload some pictures to postimage and now they don't seem to be working...

Edit. May/16 -- working again today...

cooder

Awesome pics the Dave, and they show for me no problem at this stage.
Is photo bucket issues also the reasons that i don't seem to see photos on some slightly older threads I'm trying to catch up with...? Anyway... this looks great! I'm using Imgur for what I'm posting and that seems to be fine so far, not that I have a lot of experience with photo hosting sites.

I'm sure it'll be a gorgeous guitar!
The Tele pickups Timbo wound for me I asked him a bit leaning towards P90 sound and I dig them. I'm mostly into Blues and Blues rock tones and prefer mostly single coils. Timbo also suggested a good pickup wiring that adds with extra switch the option of having both bridge and neck in series, another good option that makes sound a bit thicker humbucker like if desired.
Where did you find the file with Fender headstocks if you don't mind sharing?
The Bocote fretboard certainly looks amazing...
BigNoise Amplification

davent

Thanks Stephan. The files, i can't remember where i found them but i have the pdfs for headstocks and pickgaurds, how big a file can i attach? Aloud... lots of room...

Headstocks are 24 pages, the one i'm using is in the first file.

I'm a single coil fan as well, or at the very least a fan of players who happen to favour single coils.

------------------

Photobucket, last July without warning they changed their third party hosting from free, something they used in promoting themselves, to, i can't remember whether it was $400 or $500 USD per year for the privilege of having third party hosting, one photo or however many. (They seem to have relented somewhat of late and offer a limited $100 option but i'd guess too little too late.) July of 2017 all the picture links of thousands maybe millions of photos they third party hosted went dead until ransom was paid up. No money from me...

dave

cooder

Awesome, thanks for that, I could download those files, cheers.

Was surprised that the standard Tele pickguard was not in the the pickguard files but the odd ones. Anyway, I'm not too worried as I'm making pickguards usually up as I go and I'm not necessarily into copying to the dot.
The headstocks are interesting though as I really like the classic fender head stock and on my guitars I like when people think 'oh a Fender... nah wait what's that...?!'

I certainly wouldn't have paid photobucket ransom.... sucks... hope Imgur doesn't get that idea and others...
BigNoise Amplification

alanp

Cooder, it was the final impetus for me to get my own domain, alanp.info, to host my random trash :) (see sig for link!)

Odd to think of Mouser opening an actual office in another country, as opposed to their usual nz.mouser.com or jp.mouser.com or whatever.

And why Canada? I mean, it's on the same continent as their current office, it would make more sense to have it inside the Schengen Zone or something.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

davent

Mousr has over twenty offices worldwide including three in the states one in Mexico and one in Canada.

https://www.mouser.ca/contact/GlobalBranches.aspx

Where Mouser's  locating is pretty much Canada's tech hub, Blackberry Headquarters, Google Engineering Headquarters, two names people would recognize, all kinds of others, second largest ICT cluster in North America, California's on top . This is where the action is.

dave