News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

My lame experience with Mammoth electronics (update 5/15)

Started by Primus720, May 14, 2018, 06:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

I think I've done 6 orders with mammoth and four were missing something or had things I didn't order in place of what I did. They fixed it all but it's just a P.O. much trouble to deal with them IME.

Smallbear has messed up a bit but they are very quick to fix things.

Best track record goes to Tayda of all places. Dozens of orders and just one mistake.

chromesphere

From the photos they post they seem to have a pretty sophisticated / expensive set up.  All the feedback I hear seems to be pretty negative.  I don't know how these places stay afloat?
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

fair.child

Quote from: MadMike on May 16, 2018, 02:19:08 PM
I use surplusgizmos.com - I don't buy from their website though, they have an actual storefront near my work. It is my nerd heaven. They have open boxes full of discount components that I can dig through, just like my childhood box of Legos.

I am starting to digging surplusgizmos. I love how they describe the business.

Our business is based around Proverbs 22:1
"A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold."
What this means to you the consumer is that if we can't do something right we will not do it.
God blessed us with this business so we need to pass the blessing on.
You can only bless someone if you have their best interest in mind.
Our goal is to be helpful and courteous as we help you build your dreams.

EBRAddict

A few years ago I ordered 6 1590BB from Mammoth, they lost the order, then sent a replacement shipment. Then the original order came in. So I had 12. I just unwrapped one of the enclosures in January and found that none of the screw holes were tapped. In fact, none of the 12 are tapped, nor are they drilled out to the correct diameter for tapping. So I'll have to drill them in at a slight angle and then tap them. Almost not worth the effort compared to buying new ones.

EBK

Quote from: EBRAddict on May 17, 2018, 06:57:32 PM
A few years ago I ordered 6 1590BB from Mammoth, they lost the order, then sent a replacement shipment. Then the original order came in. So I had 12. I just unwrapped one of the enclosures in January and found that none of the screw holes were tapped. In fact, none of the 12 are tapped, nor are they drilled out to the correct diameter for tapping. So I'll have to drill them in at a slight angle and then tap them. Almost not worth the effort compared to buying new ones.
Just fit some chopped off screw heads to the lid with a bit of CA glue and use some rare earth magnets inside to hold them closed.  8)
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Stomptown

Quote from: EBK on May 17, 2018, 07:29:55 PM
Just fit some chopped off screw heads to the lid with a bit of CA glue and use some rare earth magnets inside to hold them closed.  8)

Or just tap them and buy some shorter screws.  :D

blearyeyes

They lost it with me from the git go. I just won't use them and I haven't for several years. It's sad as we need vendors.

somnif

Guess I'll come in with a "never had a bad experience with them" vote. Granted, Ive never ordered anything major. But some pots, a handful of plain enclosures, even a few random components. Hell they tossed in some candy with one of my orders, which was kinda nice.

Mostly I buy from them when they have sales. Some 4sales enclosures or a few switches for a few bucks off.

Gristlepig

I gave up on Mammoth years ago. They just could never get an order right.

Thought I'd give them another try recently, as it's hard to find large value rev log right angle pcb pots anywhere else. And their price is right.

Then I receive my order. Over half of my pots were missing washers and nuts. Sigh...

To their credit, they sent me the parts no charge.

But that was enough for me. Between Mouser, Smallbear and BLMS, I'm pretty well covered. No need to mess with Mammoth again.

TheDude

I'm with somnif on that I've never had a bad experience with them, so to hear this many bad experiences of this magnitude is a bit surprising to hear. Not going to lie, but the interface of their website has been the easiest for me to use, so they'll probably continue to get my business until they lose it. Definitely wary now though.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

The dude abides

r-nox

I had this happen from a different vendor on Amazon.com. I got my boxes in a couple days from when I ordered but they were un tapped.

tone seeker

I gave up on mammoth. The last order (3 different items), they sent diodes, instead
Of transistors.

TeleCrunch

FYI and beware. i just received a botched order from Mammoth as well like above. Instead of specific valued potentiometers that I ordered, they sent knobs that I didn't order. The rest of the order was fine.

I just sent an email to them, hopefully they will rectify the order, since I really needed the pots to finish a project.

This was only my second order from them in many years of ordering parts from various vendors. Not impressed.
Great repeat experiences ordering parts with Tayda, Small Bear, DIYGP, and BLMS.  Arrow did recently mess up an order, but rectified immediately.
No Squid Pro Quo

chromesphere

Quote from: TeleCrunch on June 07, 2018, 02:33:32 PM
Great repeat experiences ordering parts with Tayda, Small Bear, DIYGP, and BLMS.

Thanks mate!
I tell you one thing im impressed about with mammoth, their kit instructions are very well designed and thorough!  A lot of what they contain, I cover in videos etc, but I can imagine customers would appreciate having it all on the build doc and so well presented:

eg: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1353/1185/files/Kit_Instructions_-_Mothman_Fuzz.pdf?16209261324983533849
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube