News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Remove pinstripes from guitar without damaging finish?

Started by AntKnee, June 01, 2018, 11:39:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AntKnee

I'm considering removing some hand pinstriping from a guitar, but I don't want to damage the finish. I was thinking of just taking some lacquer thinner to it, but was wondering if anyone has tried this on a guitar finish or has any advice? I know this can work quite well on a car finish, but the clear coat on a car is probably much more durable than the clear on a guitar.
Any input is appreciated.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

EBK

I'm not quite sure what to make of that picture.   :o

My gut tells me that no matter what you try, you will mar the finish somehow.  If you are lucky, the finish will merely lose its luster and can be fixed.  If you are unlucky, you could end up with a red-sock-in-the-laundry type of color bleed.  You really need to know what the finish and pin stripes are each made from.

My advice:  first ask yourself what you would do if you accidentally ruin the finish.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

AntKnee

Quote from: EBK on June 01, 2018, 12:00:20 PM
I'm not quite sure what to make of that picture.   :o

My gut tells me that no matter what you try, you will mar the finish somehow.  If you are lucky, the finish will merely lose its luster and can be fixed.  If you are unlucky, you could end up with a red-sock-in-the-laundry type of color bleed.  You really need to know what the finish and pin stripes are each made from.

My advice:  first ask yourself what you would do if you accidentally ruin the finish.

Yeah, I really don't like these pinstripes. They don't make any sense.

I have the same concerns. I don't want to smear it around.
If I did ruin the finish, I would probably just take sandpaper to it and give it a vicious relic style paint removal.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

matmosphere

I would go to tdpri and post the question in tele Home Depot

tone seeker

If it was just regular pinstripe paint, it should wipe
Off with a slovent based product. If it feels like it's on top of the finish, than it more than likely is. So, what you could do, is get some Acetone  (try it in a cavity, or on the back of the guitar at least). If it does not appear to harm the finish, than try that first. Acetone is not as strong as lacquer thinner, so it's less likely to harm the finish (if it will at all).
   If Acetone does not do the trick, try mineral spirits. Whenever I do pinstriping on automotive finishes, and I make a mistake, lacquer thinner is used, to wipe it off. I've used laquer thinner on guitar finishes as well, and it's been fine. I just hate
To suggest thinner at first, without knowing what finish is on the guitar. So better safe than sorry!

You could use an automotive compound, to help remove, and shine up the surface. It may also help remove any left over paint. Than polish.

If you really have to, you could wetsand, with 1500 grit, than compound and polish. But you'll need a buffer for that. I don't mean to ramble on, but there are a lot of ways to remove that, without harming the finish. If you lived in my neck of the woods, I could do it in about a 1/2 hour, and look like new!
So give an update, on your results.

Oh!, if anything, you could contact a pinstriper, custom paint shop, or sign painter in the area, ig there is one. May be able to help out as well. Just another thought!