News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Share something you wish you would have known

Started by Gnarcade, May 22, 2018, 11:37:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on May 24, 2018, 08:57:13 AM
3) Sharpen your soldering skills. It WILL save you money! A lot of people like to push 3PDT boards. If you can solder properly, it is actually LESS work to just solder directly to the switch. This also applies to stopping cold solder joints, loose connections, etc.

Agreed on this -- I find that 3PDT mini-pcbs make more work.

And to get anywhere with this hobby, your soldering skills will need to be up to scratch, in the same way that you need to be able to ride a bicycle for people to let you loose on a velodrome :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

sjaustin

Quote from: alanp on May 24, 2018, 11:29:52 AM
3) Sharpen your soldering skills. It WILL save you money! A lot of people like to push 3PDT boards. If you can solder properly, it is actually LESS work to just solder directly to the switch. This also applies to stopping cold solder joints, loose connections, etc.

Agreed on this -- I find that 3PDT mini-pcbs make more work.
Hmm. I'd love to hear more about this. I am a competent solderer, but I still find them helpful, particularly if you take advantage of the board mounted LED option that most of them have. How do you find it makes more work?

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: sjaustin on May 24, 2018, 11:45:03 AM
Hmm. I'd love to hear more about this. I am a competent solderer, but I still find them helpful, particularly if you take advantage of the board mounted LED option that most of them have. How do you find it makes more work?

Well, if you are soldering the wiring to just the 3PDT, you have 9 solder points max.

If you use an adapter, now you have to still solder those 9 points PLUS the wire connections to the adapter board.

More work  ;)

I think the allure of the adapter board is more for esthetics than functionality. People think they "look nicer."