News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Troubleshooting Green Bean

Started by Gnarcade, May 21, 2018, 02:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gnarcade

Hey all! This is my first build after 4 years of absence and what I thought was going to happen, happened: I ran into some trouble!

Here are the details as they stand.
(1) Project Name:Green Bean
(2) Description of problem: Buzzing, no sound passing, LED was lit after the first press of the switch, but will not light anymore.
(3) What I've Done so Far (Hopefully correctly):
- Double checked wiring
- Double checked part values
- Looked for bad soldering and potential bridged components
- Sobbed deeply into a cup of coffee while cursing my intellect
- Double checked component orientation
(4) Part Substitutions: I used a different IC chip (One of the ones recommended in the build doc), and a few different diodes. I dont have the exact values on me at the moment, but can post them later.

I have attached a few images... hopefully I did that right as well :)

Thanks for any help you can provide!!!

cooder

Buzzing and no signal, no LED on etc could be a broken ground connection.
Also measure voltages in circuit, doe4s it see 9V, what voltages are on IC?
BigNoise Amplification

alanp

Do you have any insulation on the back of those pots?

Even just some electrical tape or cardboard will help. If, as I think I see, you don't have any, that means that all the solder joints underneath them are shorting out.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Gnarcade

Quote from: alanp on May 21, 2018, 08:38:41 PM
Do you have any insulation on the back of those pots?

Even just some electrical tape or cardboard will help. If, as I think I see, you don't have any, that means that all the solder joints underneath them are shorting out.
Doh! That makes so much sense, I totally forgot you can get those little rubber covers for the pots. I will stick some cardboard in there for the time being, and remember to be more mindful of that going forward. Thanks!

Quote from: cooder on May 21, 2018, 03:53:31 PM
Buzzing and no signal, no LED on etc could be a broken ground connection.
Also measure voltages in circuit, doe4s it see 9V, what voltages are on IC?
Will do! I have a multi-meter on its way in the mail, and will report back once i have a chance to test it all out. Thank you!

jimilee

If you are testing it outside of an enclosure, you have to ground both the input and the output jacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Gnarcade

Quote from: jimilee on May 22, 2018, 09:55:44 AM
If you are testing it outside of an enclosure, you have to ground both the input and the output jacks.

Dang that's another thing I totally forgot about!!!! I didn't do that when testing it outside a case :( I will definitely give that a shot after work today. Needless to say I will feel quite silly if that turns out to be the culprit.

jimilee

Quote from: Gnarcade on May 22, 2018, 11:00:56 AM
Quote from: jimilee on May 22, 2018, 09:55:44 AM

Dang that's another thing I totally forgot about!!!! I didn't do that when testing it outside a case :( I will definitely give that a shot after work today. Needless to say I will feel quite silly if that turns out to be the culprit.
Naaa. If that's it, you should feel relieved you don't have to dig deeper.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

alanp

That mixed feeling of shame, and relief... I know it well.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website