News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What charge pump ic should I use

Started by Hefty, May 24, 2018, 10:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hefty

I was going to order a few charge pump chips and wondering what is the best one to use/buy, Not real worried about the price just the best for what ever reason people use the ones they do use.

midwayfair

LT1054. Good up to 15V supply, can stand spikes of 18V or higher without dying. Supplies more current (100mA) than all the other chips. Doesn't need any special wiring to avoid whining. Still under $3. Unless you absolutely must cut every corner in a manufacturing situation, this is the way to go.

sonnyboy27

Quote from: midwayfair on May 24, 2018, 10:58:48 AM
LT1054. Good up to 15V supply, can stand spikes of 18V or higher without dying. Supplies more current (100mA) than all the other chips. Doesn't need any special wiring to avoid whining. Still under $3. Unless you absolutely must cut every corner in a manufacturing situation, this is the way to go.

This ^^^

Hefty

Thanks for the info, it just goes to show the little details make a big difference.

chromesphere

Agreed. Power rating of the LT1054 is the way to go especially for things like modulation etc. 

For fuzz you can go with the TC1044scpa, good up to 12v.  Note the scpa suffix, this means it is low noise (there are other tc1044's around).  These are about half the cost of the LT1054. 

Alot of people recommend the MAX1044 but I wouldn't recommend it.  Max voltage of 10v, and from my experience just seems fragile.  I don't use them anymore.

To be safe, just go with the LT1054 though.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

JackSkellington

I'm planning to build a Klon Centaur and a Tight Metal, in both the project I decided to use exactly the ICL7660SCPA.
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»