News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Wah inductor too tall...?

Started by mjg, May 24, 2018, 03:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjg

I'm building my first wah pedal.  I've got a yellow Fasel inductor to stick in, but I've now realised that it is too tall to fit in the enclosure space.

So far my thinking is: 

- I could rotate my PCB 180 degrees, as there is a bit more vertical space if I have the inductor at the top end of the board.  But then I'd have all the connections for the jacks etc at the wrong end.

- I could try to bend the pins on the inductor by 90 degrees so I could lie it down... I'm a bit worried that I'll damage the inductor doing that though.

- I could just lie it down and solder on some extra leads coming up from the PCB to join it all up. 

So, how do these things normally get installed? 

I've been looking at pictures on the internets and there are a few where people have just bent the inductor pins... so maybe I just need to man up and give that a try. 

Betty Wont

I'd just gently use my needle nose and bend the leads 90 degrees. Once soldered in if you feel it's not secure you can use a dot of hot glue to secure the inductor body to the pcb.

mjg

Cool, thanks.  I bent them with the needle nose pliers, and nothing exploded, so that did the trick.