News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mangler Volume Pot Issues

Started by Gristlepig, June 01, 2018, 09:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gristlepig

Howdy gang,

I just recently built up a GE Fuzz Face using the Mangler 2011 pcb. It sounds great, but it is LOUD. The volume knob doesn't seem to dump out entirely to ground, as at fully CCW, it is louder than unity. It just gets much louder from there. I pulled the 500k volume pot and replaced it with a 100k, and while I like the brighter tone better, much like the 500k, the pot seems to do very littleā€”it just goes from loud to a bit louder at the last 20% of the pot's rotation. My voltages are right where they should be, and all of my component values seem to be correct.
Has anyone else expereinced this with the Mangler 2011 board?
I've built many a Fuzz Face in the past, both GE and SI without problems (the vol goes silent at full CCW) but this one has got me stumped.

Transistors are old TI 2G308 at 60 and 120 hfe, very minimal leakage.

madbean

Check for continuity b/w lug1 of the Volume pot and ground first. Show a pic and or voltages as well.

Gristlepig

Will do. Heading back down to the solder dungeon shortly.

Gristlepig

Aha! No continuity between lug 1 and ground!

Gristlepig

That's odd. Lug 1 appears to be connected to the ground plane on the pcb. Perhaps I burnt up the connection when soldering the pot in? I dunno, I don't usually apply too much heat when soldering.

Gristlepig

Running a jumper from lug 1 to ground solved the problem.
But now it sounds way too bright. Time to throw the 500k back in.

Thanks for the heads up Brian.