News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NPD (sorta)

Started by blearyeyes, June 05, 2018, 12:31:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tremster

I'm well impressed by the Axe FX but it's not for me. The Axe FX, the Kemper, the Headrush - they all sound great but for me it's just too many knobs, too many features. All these amps can do EVERYTHING. All the amps in the world in one. But I don't need everything, I don't need high gain Metal amp models and a hundred delays.
I'm waiting for the day they will release a simple combo that can do something like a Princeton Reverb and Tweed Deluxe and AC15 and that's it. Don't think that will happen though.

Rockhorst

Good point Tremster...it's sort of a 'feature war'.

thesmokingman

there's going to be nuance issues with modeling that will never be 100% ... spring reverb drip/combo cab vibration/pan crash, output tube bias vary tremolo, tube rectified non-mv push pull amp sag/bloom/dynamics, actual leslie rotation/ramping ... but they get better with it each time. hopefully analog will last my lifetime and I won't have to find out.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

blearyeyes

Quote from: Tremster on June 06, 2018, 12:20:26 AM
I'm well impressed by the Axe FX but it's not for me. The Axe FX, the Kemper, the Headrush - they all sound great but for me it's just too many knobs, too many features. All these amps can do EVERYTHING. All the amps in the world in one. But I don't need everything, I don't need high gain Metal amp models and a hundred delays.
I'm waiting for the day they will release a simple combo that can do something like a Princeton Reverb and Tweed Deluxe and AC15 and that's it. Don't think that will happen though.

I've always been one to jump in and use new stuff. I had Pat Quilter modify a Quilter Solid State in 72 and gigged with it forever. If you are the kind of guy that likes to fight with computers and beat them into submission then this would work for you. At this point I won't be able to afford a collection of great  amps so this is a good alternative.  It is definitely working for me. The 59 Bassman model really rocks my world. The Divided by 13 sounds incredible with my Gretsch. So this will keep me happy and busy for years... Back to fighting with my workstation...

fair.child

I owned FXII and sold it at a good price. I got AX8 which it's better serving my purpose for 1-1 analog-digital pedal comparison. IMHO, I use it when I am too lazy to bring my own rig or just perform at the quick open mic (less than 3 songs). If I am getting a full paid gig, then I'll bring my best to serve the audience (pedals, amp, couple guitars with different tunings). At some point, I do combine the AX8 with my amp with 4 cables method and add one or two pedals in the chain for unloading some CPU power.

For playing direct/ going FOH, mostly I get help from my friends/band mate to carry big FRFR speakers (1000 Watts). I own EV FRFR speaker for AX8 and so far it's sounded great. Previously with FX II, I powered it up with 8008 Marshall and sometimes with Mesa Power Amp to the real cabinet. I turned off the cab sim and just mainly used the preamp. It also worked for me with my FRFR KRK Rokit which it was sounded great by all means for recording.

I tend to do the same ways I did for the AX8. I like the way they designed the AX8 which it serves my needs for short gig/ demo. It wasn't convenient to bring 2K rigs at some places that I've never been. Plus, they just came out with FX III.