News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Going to Memphis, what’s up Memphis?

Started by jimilee, June 18, 2018, 03:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Going to Memphis this weekend for my birthday. Where do the locals eat and what do they do. Going guitar shopping. Point me in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Aentons

Try not to get murdered... I lived there for a little while in the 90's and I would always hear it was the murder capital of the US. The nightly news was the most aweful I've seen to date. I haven't been back since, but I can't imagine it has gotten any better, but you never know.

Having said that... Beale Street had a couple of fun spots... Not sure if it's still there but the Rum Boogie Cafe could be a place to check out.

I wouldn't waste time at Graceland unless your are a real Elvis fan.

cooder

When I was there I really thought that the Civil Rights Museum was absolutely outstanding and a very humbling place to visit. I was very taken by that and is my strongest memory from Memphis.
Straight across from there is the Blues Foundation Hall of Fame if you're into that. (I'm a Blues fan, so I dug that too...)
I enjoyed Beale Street, and yes I second the Rum Boogie and other digs, lots to have a nose in and see if you like it.

On way out I checked in Sun Studios for a coffee, that was neat too.

So far for my Non-American tourist hints...
BigNoise Amplification

thesmokingman

interstate bbq ... it genuinely lives up to the reputation. one of the few places I've been where the sides and the bbq are equally excellent and the place is the perfect representation of "Memphis style" bbq. I can admit I've stuck my nose to the window at the Gibson factory like a filthy beggar ... that said, I have no idea on local shops
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

cooder

Well have a great Birthday and a blast weekend! Eat some ribs for me too... 8)
BigNoise Amplification

somnif

jimilee

^^^always a thought every time I think about Beale street. I do plan on going to the Gibson factory for the tour. My wife is threatening to buy me a guitar there. Ribs are on the agenda as well as the blues hall of fame. What other guitar stores are the good ones? Rum boogie and sun studios will be a stop.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

cooder

Quote from: jimilee on June 22, 2018, 05:08:17 AM
^^^always a thought every time I think about Beale street. I do plan on going to the Gibson factory for the tour. My wife is threatening to buy me a guitar there. Ribs are on the agenda as well as the blues hall of fame. What other guitar stores are the good ones? Rum boogie and sun studios will be a stop.

... hope the Gibson factory is still open... I thought they closed that one? In any case have a blasy and let us know how you got arrested and all those details...! :o

Jimi and his twin brother taking a spin on Beale:
BigNoise Amplification

Zigcat

jimilee

The Gibson factory is alive and well. They told me it was just the other Hong's Gibson had their hand in. The tour was great fun. The shop was incredible, my wife bought me a 2018 studio with classic 57s in it.

cooder

Quote from: jimilee on June 23, 2018, 05:57:16 PM
The Gibson factory is alive and well. They told me it was just the other Hong's Gibson had their hand in. The tour was great fun. The shop was incredible, my wife bought me a 2018 studio with classic 57s in it.

Awesome! One lucky Dude!
BigNoise Amplification