News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

School me up Snack Shack

Started by 401waterman, September 29, 2011, 11:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

Madbean's is an earlier version of the PCB. Whenever you build a project you should follow the build documents.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

401waterman

swapped the diode around. No sound still. The clicking went away though!

I read the schematic layout from Beavis audio and the diode "line" connects to the incoming side and the non-line side connects to ground... right?

like in my pictures...

I tested the transistor legs on the Check function after I switched the diode around...
Q1 (with the flat side facing you)
leg 1) passed check
leg 2) meter gave me a reading of 37.1 ohms (?)
leg3) didn't pass the check

Q2 (flat side facing you) legs 2&3 are bent into order, just listing them as they prong out of the tranny towards the ground
leg1) didn't pass check
leg2) meter gave me a reading of 82.8 ohms
leg3) didn't pass check

Everything else (input jacks and such) are grounded.

jkokura

The line aide should be connected to the +9V, and the non line side should connect to ground. I can't see the backside of your PCB, so I can't tell you if it's rift or not. I can tell you that there are two versions of this PCB, so yours could be wrong based on that documentation.

At the risk of soundng rude, I think you need to go back and read my post again. In order to beat help you, you need to get some voltage readings on your transistors and the various points on the PCB I mentioned. Until we have some of that data, there's not much else we can tell you. If you need help with you DMM, i can help if you give me a link to the model and operators manual.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

401waterman

not rude at all Jacob--you're patient and I'm not! I do appreciate all the help and guidance...

Okay here they are (it takes me an hour roundtrip to radio shack, which is why I was putting it off)..

Using the DCV 20v setting...
I shoved the black pole into the negative port on the DC jack.

Tested the trannys with the red pole.... here's what it said..

Again with flat front facing you
Q1: 0.0

Q2: 5.64

What to make sense of all of this?

Got the LED to work too. I guess it was a bad bulb?

jkokura

Q1 looks right to me, but Q2 looks fishy. I would check for solder bridges.

I doubled checked, and your diode was backwards in your pictures. Not a big problem but if you have it like the docs say you should now then that's a good thing.

What are your voltages at your DC jack and at ground? At this point, I'd begin looking at using an audio probe to sort out where your signal starts to go wonky.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

401waterman

swapped my Q2 with a new one... New readings:

flat side facing:

jkokura

Yeah, that looks better. What's it sound like now?

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

401waterman

Still dead!

Gonna begin making my audio probe---

401waterman

Jacob--You are awesome!!

Lady's and Gentlemen...I will no longer bug you all (until next build). The Snack Shack is complete!! Audio probe is the way to go!! Tested all my points to find the culprit!

I just now have to pack this snack for some dinner and post pics afterwards...

Thanks everyone!

401waterman

The done Shack--though way extremely fuzzy than I thought. Turned full blast I have to turn my amp volume WAY down. I played with it up about 25% and it sounded great!

Also a bonus pic of my homemade audio probe---

the issue I had was boxing it. I had to squeeze the components down---

Thanks again to Jacob!

Onto the LaVache next.

shawnee

Great! So what was the problem? I learn a lot by reading what the ace troubleshooters around here say to check.
By the way, you should try to mount your components as close to the board as possible. It keeps them more mechanically stable, take up less room, and can actually reduce noise/oscillation in some circuits.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Your final product looks good!
Good job on the troubleshoot. Not sure what you mean by squeezing the components down...
That audio probe is DIY to the max!!!  :)
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

401waterman

Well it was a few things...

Thanks for the help with the diode!! It was backwards.
I followed pictures of other posts but didn't stop to think it was an older layout so even my q2 tran was backwards. I twisted the pins like it says in the build reports but just had it orientated wrong.
Lastly there was a solder bridge between two resistors. I only discovered it because I made a audio probe. I don't think anyone could have seen it with the naked eye. I resolder it and BINGO just started working.

Yeah next time I'm going to get the closer to the board. I gave myself room for mistakes

shawnee

Thanks for the info. I'm glad you got it going! This stuff is addictive..............