News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Charge Pump Circuits

Started by drog_trog, June 20, 2018, 09:01:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drog_trog

Here are 2 charge pumps that go from 9v to 18v, both are a bit different but which is best to use
1)

2)

midwayfair

Datasheets for charge pump chips usually have example circuits and they will tell you the benefits of a particular circuit.

Besides, if we don't know what you're building, even if we had an opinion on the bestness of one of those circuits, it would be meaningless without knowing which charge pump chip you're using for which pedal.

That said, the second looks like it's the same thing but drawn wrong. If you look through some datasheets you might be able to find that circuit and figure out what it's for, though.

drog_trog

I wasnt sure on which circuit to use for the 18V effect-Toneczar Openhaus

maybe this would be ok

Boba7

Looks fine. Use a 12v zener if you use a tc1044 or 7660 chip.

Also I found that filtering the output makes a huge difference regarding noise. Put a 22-100r with a 47-100uf to ground at the output. I would also replace the 5817 with a 22r

Boba7

Here's the charge pump I've been using lately (followed by a voltage divider that you can ignore / the 10ks and 10uf)
Compared to other charge pumps I've used its MUCH more quiet, probably due to the filtering of both the input and the output.

(osc pads should be jumpered with tc1044/icl7660s or unconnected with lt1054)

drog_trog

Rockhorst

Your circuit 1 connects pins 1 and 8 but mentions a 1054 chip. Connecting those two pins only applies to the 7660S and 1044 chips.

These things are sometimes noise inducing (whine), it's a bit of EM voodoo but what I've found consistently prevents this is:

- no polygons (ground, power, whatever) under the charge pump on the PCB
- additional MLCC filter caps on the output as close as possible to anything using the power (so a cap for every opamp for instance)
- A dedicated power track on the pcb, 20 or 24 mills and preferably no 'daisy chaining' but direct connections to the source

Another way to prevent noise is to put the charge pump on a separate board and put it on the side wall of the enclosure so that it's at a 90 degree angle to your circuit. I did this on a circuit once and it went from unusable to silent with just that.

Good luck :)