News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

PCB mounts

Started by stevie1556, June 22, 2018, 03:44:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevie1556

I've been talking to a friend today about the Muff projects that I'm doing, and he wants one. However, rather then have it in the pedal board friendly 1590A size for when he gigs, he wants it in a 1590BB. Both the boards that I've designed and Beans boards don't have board mounted pots, So, I'm thinking of using some PCB mounts, but the only ones I can find are the ones which are round and go through holes in the board. Are there any ones that can clip around the side of the board?

Also, does anyone know where I could buy a sheet metal enclosure like the Green Russian Muff? That's the model version that he is after so think it would be a nice surprise for him.

Rockhorst

I have some difficulty in understanding what you're asking...easiest thing to do in any case seems to buy regular 16 mm pots with solder lugs and use some ribbon wire to neatly connect them to the board.

EBK

Quote from: stevie1556 on June 22, 2018, 03:44:21 PM
However, rather then have it in the pedal board friendly 1590A size for when he gigs, he wants it in a 1590BB.
Yikes!  :o

You should build it in a 1590A, then stuff that finished pedal into the 1590BB (may have to remove the lid on the 1590A).  :P
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

stevie1556

Quote from: Rockhorst on June 23, 2018, 05:01:46 AM
I have some difficulty in understanding what you're asking...easiest thing to do in any case seems to buy regular 16 mm pots with solder lugs and use some ribbon wire to neatly connect them to the board.
That's the plan for wiring the pots. What I mean is what will be the best way to secure the PCB down in the enclosure? I'm sure I've seen somewhere these plastic clips that stick inside the enclosure and the PCB goes between them to hold it in place. I can't use the regular PCB mounts as there isn't any holes in the board for them to go through to then hold it in place.
Quote from: EBK on June 23, 2018, 06:29:38 AM
Quote from: stevie1556 on June 22, 2018, 03:44:21 PM
However, rather then have it in the pedal board friendly 1590A size for when he gigs, he wants it in a 1590BB.
Yikes!  :o

You should build it in a 1590A, then stuff that finished pedal into the 1590BB (may have to remove the lid on the 1590A).  [emoji14]
I know........

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

bcalla

stevie1556

Quote from: bcalla on June 23, 2018, 06:40:41 AM
Barry sells these over at GuitarPCB (http://www.guitarpcb.com/apps/webstore/products/show/6644498):

Ah they are perfect! Exactly what I had in my head. I've checked absolutely everywhere I could think of for them but forgot about his site. Cheers buddy :)

Now I just need to find a sheet metal enclosure to surprise him with the right look.

pickdropper

You can also attach the board to the back of the pots.  The key with that or the standoffs is use properly aggressive glue.  I'd recommend the 3M VHB that's designed specifically for plastic and aluminum.  Once that stuff sets, it's really tough to dislodge.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Turnip-Tone

Thanks Bob. Was looking for just these types of mounts not so long ago :)

stevie1556

That's currently my backup option. The plan is to use one of my SMD boards for it and mount it in the middle of the enclosure with all the wires running to it. Failing that, it's mounting it onto the back of a pot. I've got double sided sticky pads that work well but didn't think of the glue idea!