News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

To hell with decline!! Let's talk about our personal projects happening now!

Started by culturejam, June 23, 2018, 06:49:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sarde

Im going to take my PedalPCB Octagon and add a tft display and a rotary knob for a program selector. I'll be using an adafruit feather and a 1.8" screen. Hopefully I will be able to scroll through the programs (individually displayed on the screen) and have the digital pots 1-3 list what they do in that particular patch. I also hope to add a splash screen during boot-up of my logo. Ive been sitting on this project since late March, but I just got all the components yesterday.

I'm also trying my hand at multi effects pedals on vero. Currently I am building, what is essientially, a JHS Red Ruby (Superbolt and boost) in a 1590bb with top mounted jacks, switchable buffered bypass, and effects order switching. Ill be using film-free laser gold metallic decals for the artwork (I've never tried anything like this before).

I also need to finish painting my telecaster I started making over 2 years ago.
Check out some of my projects over at https://pendragonguitarworks.wordpress.com/

cooder

Very cool stuff there, yes that's a great antidote to the decline notion...! 8)
Looking forward to seeing more of those projects as they come together!

Myself I'm working on two amps at the moment, a Matchless Nighthawk/AC15 type and a Dr.Z Route 66 mashup. Both chassis are up and running, but I want to incorporate active buffered effectsloop in it and then needs a cabinet each. I don't have really suitable timber at the moment, so hunting around for that. In other words: good things take time...

Had the first buffered loop tested and put into this amp here which is now all running the way I like, just waiting for some timber for the cabinet as well...

Also planning on a bigger multi effects box as I have a bunch of pcbs ready populated and it just seems to be crying out for a bigger multi.
Just finished a Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe (Brenja's board), build report to come soonish.
BigNoise Amplification

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: cooder on June 23, 2018, 03:20:05 PM
Had the first buffered loop tested and put into this amp here which is now all running the way I like, just waiting for some timber for the cabinet as well...

This is SWEET!!!

What kind of reverb did you incorporate? (Spring, solid state?) Also, how did the buffered loop work? Which did you go with?

cooder

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on June 23, 2018, 04:13:17 PM
Quote from: cooder on June 23, 2018, 03:20:05 PM
This is SWEET!!!

What kind of reverb did you incorporate? (Spring, solid state?) Also, how did the buffered loop work? Which did you go with?

Cheers Greg, I don't want to morph this thread into a build report.
I'll post a seperate build report with those details in amp section soon , see ya there!
BigNoise Amplification

Willybomb

I have approximately 30 pcbs and veros lying around waiting to be tested or boxed up.  I have a few that need populating too.  I would have taken a photo of everything lying on the floor and couch but I just packed it up a couple of days ago.

The main things in the pipeline are:

Tiger Drive - Crunchbox and delay in a BB as a gift for a friend's son who's only 11 or so, but making massive gains in his playing.  I've built 3 delays (Cavedweller pcb and vero, Rebote) that haven't worked properly for this, so it's dragging out. I'm waiting on a Mimik pcb to arrive (it departed Sydney on the 12th....  Australia's big, but Tayda can get it here in 4 days).

Naughtyfish - I rolled a couple of vactrols to try in this as the vtls are getting rare and expensive.  Not sure I want to invest in drilling an enclosure for it for soldering the switches and pots yet.  It's a non essential build that I will get to eventually.  I've found a couple of vactrols on eBay too, so I've socketed them on the pcb in case the rolled ones don't work well enough.

Superjudge Plus - I love the Superjudge, but it just needs a bit more gain for my tastes (and sounds much better with a buffer in front), so this will be a two footswitch Superjudge with buffer and LPB1 in a 125b.

Brotherhood of Steel - A Brown Betty with dual gain pots, and possibly a switch for switching between BE-OD and Dirty Shirley values.

Megatron?  Syncnotron? 2304? - 3x FV1 in a DD, set to effect, delay, and reverb.  Two of these will be switchable between the default programs and the ones burnt onto the eprom.  That would be 2304 possible combinations in a single box.  I don't have a proper name for this, or decent enclosure artwork as there's no space left for much other than pots and labels.

Things that need to be boxed up include: 2x BE-OD (one a Bean implementation), 2x Dr Boogie (one a Peper's implementation with tonemender), TS, @drive, Danger Zone, Sunking,

cooder

Awesome! All great, that Megatron looks amazeballs! Did you get BuGG to custom burn the eeproms for that or did you do that yourself? Very clever!
BigNoise Amplification

r-nox

Castledine's The Wizzard, just waiting on the paint to dry on the enclosure. It's still finger nail poke able and it's been 48 hours...

Stomptown

I'm currently working on a 5F1 based amp and a JTM45.  Other than that I have a ton of parts to put together another Les Paul so I'd like to pick up a studio neck/body from Stratosphere.  I don't need another guitar but it would sure be nice to have one that's lighter than the two I have at 9-10 lbs.  Unfortunately funds are tight until after our October trip to Disneyland so I'll mostly be concentrating on playing and recording with my band.

Here's where I'm currently at with the amp builds:

alanp

I think my synthly soldering predilections are known by maybe one or two people around here by now.

Good thing about synth modules is that even after you've done thirty or forty, you can still use them all at once without it becoming a bad joke on a forum.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

oip

Quote from: alanp on June 23, 2018, 09:53:59 PM
Good thing about synth modules is that even after you've done thirty or forty, you can still use them all at once without it becoming a bad joke on a forum.

i'm just getting into synth DIY and this is exactly my thinking.  there's no end to it..

also love the FV-1 with screen idea, been thinking about something along these lines in a stereo box as a multi effect to replace the onboard effects of the SY-77 synth.  would be a tonne of work but cool fun.

i'm keen to make an FV-1 multi effect with the korg SDD-3000 preamp (like the aion eclipse), firstly trying to work out how to power it and where to put the effect in the signal path.  hoping to make it in 1590B with only 4 knobs and a switch or two, mostly SMD and an onboard jumper for eeprom programming.  some pipe dream of adding a little fuzz in front too.

m-Kresol

I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

EBK

Quote from: Stomptown on June 23, 2018, 09:30:55 PM
I'm currently working on a 5F1 based amp
I'm actually currently working on one of those too!  My very first amp build, in fact. 
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Willybomb

QuoteDid you get BuGG to custom burn the eeproms for that or did you do that yourself? Very clever!
BuGG very kindly put up with all my inquiries and burnt them for me.

matmosphere

Quote from: m-Kresol on June 23, 2018, 11:56:47 PM
Quote from: Matmosphere on June 23, 2018, 02:10:48 PM
:o can I call dibs on a palisades (or two) if there are any extra!

you're already on the list ;)

Hahaha, oops I'd forgotten. Busy year at work, unfortunately haven't touched my iron since before Xmas.

Stomptown

Quote from: EBK on June 24, 2018, 05:16:45 AM
Quote from: Stomptown on June 23, 2018, 09:30:55 PM
I'm currently working on a 5F1 based amp
I'm actually currently working on one of those too!  My very first amp build, in fact. 

Nice!  Not a whole lot of room to work inside those Tweed chassis.  They're like the 1590a of amps building!