News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

To hell with decline!! Let's talk about our personal projects happening now!

Started by culturejam, June 23, 2018, 06:49:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam_DIY

Quote from: stringsthings on June 25, 2018, 01:53:34 AM
Quote from: Adam_MD on June 24, 2018, 03:20:02 PM
I've also got a tele build on the go and am just waiting on the neck and body coming back from the painters so I can get it assembled too.  I received a sneak peak from the painter about a week ago while we wait for the nitro to cure enough to get buffed and polished. 

Looks great!  The tele Wilkinson bridge with brass saddles is very good.  My HB has one and it's excellent.

Ive got brass saddles on my blackguard with a maple board so ordered a fender plate and titanium compensated saddles to try out on this one. If I don't like it I have some spare steel saddles I can try instead.  I'll do a thread in the guitar diy section after everything arrives. 

diablochris6

Let's see...the things I can actually see myself finishing this summer (or by the end of the year):

1. I have a couple VFE pedals to box up
2. A Total Recall is waiting around for me to buy a power supply so I can rock before boxing it.
3. Two original PCB designs (a simplification of the Jext Telez White Pedal and an original tape saturation distortion) are awaiting some enclosures (see a trend?)
4. I designed a PCB for a Korg MS20 style VCF with a couple LFOs and expression pedal jack for some cool filtering. It's not so much of an original design as it is adding some tweaks and features.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

thesmokingman

progress as promised! toolbox and reverb tank are inbound ... grabbed the total recall since it is on sale ... and a sticker from a local surf shop to slap on the toolbox to give it some street cred
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

Boba7

What a cool thread, so much inspiration, it's great!!

I'm curious about your PT2399 mods CJ, please keep us informed!

Lately I've been populating a pcb I designed for an Echoplex preamp that basically sums up what I like from the Fat Pants, the Aion project (a clone of the Clinch Fx I believe) and the Chase Tone one. With a switchable output bjt buffer that's slightly tweaked so it doesn't color the sound and allows for a lower impedance.

Otherwise I've been modding my two Vox Pathfinder 15r since they're the only amps I've been using for a couple years now. I changed the speakers for 10inches a year ago, and I've just moved the spring tank away from the board to reduce noise (amazing difference), and changed a couple things in the reverb path for a much better sound. Also upgraded the main opamp and removed the hard clipping leds. What a great amp! :) I play them in stereo, it sounds fantastic.

CODymmoT

I'll have to admit I have not been active in nearly 12 months but have been reading the forum posts regularly. My wife and I welcomed our son last July and he decided to Sleep in 3hr blocks for the 1st 9 months. Unfortunately getting somewhat consistent sleep took precedence [emoji15]. How ever in the past month I have got my head back in the game finishing up some projects. This has included a 50w hot rodded plexi kit. I've also put my cabinet making skills to hand and built a dove tailed head cabinet with a birds eye Huon Pine veneered front panel. Still yet to laquer but it's getting there.

TD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alanp

I knew it was a Ceriatone amp with the very first picture -- "Holy Grail Capacitor" is a calling card of theirs :)

C'tone have a fairly decent rep, IIRC :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

raulduke

Ey Up!

Not posted here in a lonnnnggg time, but just checked in and saw the thread on decline..

Nice to see that is not the case and that people are working on all sorts of cool projects  8)

My personal project at the moment is I've got more and more into Eurorack, and have been making (mostly ambient) music again using my just my modular setup.

Here's a track:
[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/ithacus/east-pier[/soundcloud]

I've also started getting into woodwork. I started originally with the intention/end goal of making a guitar, but have got into making furniture and other bits and bobs.

As someone mentioned in the decline thread, I think anyone who has a bit of a creative streak in them (so everyone in this forum) has interests that ebb and flow. I'm sure I'll come back to pedals at some point.

Hope everyone is well!

Scruffie

Well this thread has brought a few people out the woodwork :)

At the moment I've been (foolishly  ;D) attempting to start my own pedal company to get some of my love for BBD's out there so between that and moving house it's taking up a lot of my time.

I found an old formica work bench in a skip and sanded it all down and refinished it so now I can work in vintage style... despite pigeons crapping and walking on the fresh paint and ruining it so I'll skip pictures of how it looks.

My niece has gotten interested in doing some electronic projects so I'm going to be helping out with some little kits and stuff there, she likes playing ukulele so perhaps I'm helping to train a future generation pedal builder 8)

Other than that working on vintage EHX stuff when I can and following in Tomasha's footsteps with some mini tube amp builds of my own (albeit in boring diecast aluminium enclosures, nowhere near as awesome as his little cabs).
Works at Lectric-FX

diablochris6

Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

cajone5

Hobby is not dead for me. Just dormant. I took a job in Portland and had to pack up, sell my home in Austin and move here. I've been here since early March. Still living in a temporary 400sf apartment with my fiancé and 3 dogs. Still have all my things in storage. Still looking for a house that's affordable, located in N Portland and isn't a delapidated mess. It's a slow process.

Glad to see that there is some cool stuff in the works. I'm hoping to get back to my simple hack work soon  8) although I'm not sure I should post photos anymore. People have really upped their game and I'm still using plain boxes with no designs. I'm living in the past but I just can't bring myself to figure out how to etch or do some other finishing method. It's just so much work!

Scruffie

Quote from: cajone5 on June 26, 2018, 06:29:31 AM
I'm living in the past but I just can't bring myself to figure out how to etch or do some other finishing method. It's just so much work!
You're not alone, I haven't even upgraded to painted enclosures :-[
Works at Lectric-FX

BryGuy

I still consider myself new to pedal building. Been at a little while but just progressing slowly as I have little free time or money. I've been learning eagle during lunch breaks at work. Got a half dozen or so pcbs drawn up at this point. No original circuits yet but learning bit by bit. I have only got one of those pcbs manufactured by oshpark so far, again time and money. I also have a backlog of other pcbs to finish. I'm kind of stuck right now until I can set some money aside for a big parts order but I have 5 boards that are about 85% complete.

Also been thinking about disassembling my cheap OLP bass and repainting it/rebuild it with upgraded hardware & pickup.

Most of my free time is actually going to our new baby girl which I wouldn't trade for anything in this world.

Willybomb

QuoteAlso been thinking about disassembling my cheap OLP bass and repainting it/rebuild it with upgraded hardware & pickup

I've been running mine stock since 200? but I wouldn't mind upgrading the pups.  I swapped an LP copy I never played for it.

Yahoo67

Still new in the diy world. But i do have a huge back log that i am working on. My girlfriend has been pushing me to sell the builds that i dont use and to put that money towards futur builds ... the binds in the basement/jam space are full of unused and unloved pedals T_T
Since they are builds i did in my first year and made for personal uses i am not too confident on selling them but the ones i make now are passable.
I also been trying out EAGLE. Made a fuzzolo schematic and i plan to oshpark it as soon as most of my backlog is done. Still waiting on my blue whale... a ehx guitar synth ^^ just looking at that schematic makes my head hurt but i am taking baby steps towards undertading what i have been building for the past 2 years !

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects