News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

To hell with decline!! Let's talk about our personal projects happening now!

Started by culturejam, June 23, 2018, 06:49:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

somnif

Quote from: stringsthings on July 01, 2018, 10:08:07 AM

Awesome.  Do they bite? Or are they kind of tame due to their armor?  I imagine they can't run very fast.

( this is my final armadillo question so the thread will get back to normal )  :)

Biting isn't much of an issue, but they can scratch the hell out of you. Typically fairly placid, but they're wild animals and will defend themselves. Some south american species are kept as pets by local folk (like the adorably named "pink fairy armadillo". Others are kept for food...). And they are quicker than you'd think, clocked up to 30 miles per hour (although its more galloping than running).

And, the US species carries the Leprosy bacteria, so wash your hands well if you encounter one, and seek medical attention if scratched.

alanp

Although these days, Leprosy is curable. It used to be a social death knell ("Leper, leper, unclean, unclean..."), but can now be cured with modern treatments.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

somnif

Quote from: alanp on July 01, 2018, 06:51:09 PM
Although these days, Leprosy is curable. It used to be a social death knell ("Leper, leper, unclean, unclean..."), but can now be cured with modern treatments.

Yep, though the treatments aren't exactly fun. 6 months of potent antibiotics screwing with your GI tract and skin.

alanp

Still better than spending the rest of your natural life being confined to a leper colony, along with the side-effects of leprosy (loosing limbs, fingers, etc etc to infections...)
- Terry Pratchett
My website

EBK

I gotta ask, before anyone attempts to seriously rerail this discussion:
Are armadillos good to eat, or is it mainly food for tourists (like alligator meat in Florida, for example)?
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

peAk

Quote from: EBK on July 02, 2018, 01:22:08 PM
I gotta ask, before anyone attempts to seriously rerail this discussion:
Are armadillos good to eat, or is it mainly food for tourists (like alligator meat in Florida, for example)?

Funny that you asked. I was at a get-together recently and I had this old man from Mississippi tell me "Them good eatin"

Take it for what's its worth....Hahaha

I am just trapping the little mother f'ers and relocating them. If I didn't love animals so much, I'd kill them because they are pissing me off. They love the grubs and earthworms in the flowerbeds.

alanp

All I know is that the Dukes of Hazzard movie had one guy running around in a hat made from an armadillo, which apparently made people not take him seriously?
- Terry Pratchett
My website

madbean

EBK

"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

thesmokingman

them Hoover hogs is good eatin' said nobody ever that wasn't starving.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

diablochris6

Can we rename this thread to "To Hell With Decline! Let's Talk About Armadillos!"?
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

somnif

I've been informally calling the circuit I'm working on the "AM-2" ( or "analog metalizer" since its the analog portion of the Boss MZ-2 Digital Metalizer) and I just realized that I could quite easily roll that into an Armadillo theme.....

Rockhorst

Let's set up a group buy for armadillo shaped enclosures. Or pedal boards. You unfold them at the gig.

EBK

Quote from: diablochris6 on July 02, 2018, 08:11:45 PM
Can we rename this thread to "To Hell With Decline! Let's Talk About Armadillos!"?
I think we can easily change the subject line in our replies. See?

Almost as good.   ;D

culturejam

Easily the most armadilloish thread in DIY guitar pedal forum history.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects