News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

General guitar gadgets: clipper diode selector switch

Started by Ekimneets, August 21, 2018, 02:54:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ekimneets

The directions are pretty minimal for this add on.

It just states to wire one side to a diode pair pad on the PCB and wire the other side to the other diode pair pad on the PCB.

I am assuming that this means I would connect one side to the square pad on a diode pair and the other side to the other square pad on the same paAm I correct in my thinking?

Secondly a lot of OD/distortion boards have a second set of clipping diodes. My first thought was jumper these and sort of simplify things.  Is that what you would do?

Any thoughts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Mike

Is there anything wrong with that and is that what you would do I would you utilize them somehow?

-Mike
Legion of one at Black Octopus Pedalworx.

WormBoy

Quote from: Ekimneets on August 21, 2018, 02:54:39 AM
I am assuming that this means I would connect one side to the square pad on a diode pair and the other side to the other square pad on the same paAm I correct in my thinking?
That should work. Generally, the square pad of one diode will be connected to the round pad of the one next to it. However, you can also have a PCB were there are four clipping diodes. So, check the schematic! Usually clipping sections will have one 'start' and one 'finish' where everything comes together. These are the one you like to use. There will usually be two pads connected together and you can take one of them. I hope that is clear, otherwise let me know  ;D

Don't jumper diodes, just leave them out if you don't want to use them. If a distortion circuit has two sets of clipping diodes (hard and soft clipping), you can do whatever you like, including another add on clipping board. The thing to look at is clipping thresholds. If you have silicon diodes in a feedback loop (soft clipping) and LEDs after it (hard clipping) the LEDs won't do anything. Vice versa, they will. In a guvnor, the LEDs only do a tiny bit as the opamp is clipping already. Etcetera. There is some science to it, but in the end, this is diy, so use sockets or alligator clips and just try to see what you like!

Ekimneets

Legion of one at Black Octopus Pedalworx.