News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Valvecaster a’la sci-fi

Started by Tom Lauten, June 27, 2018, 01:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Lauten

This is my Decopunk/Atompunk style Valvecaster pedal.

I love the sound of an overdriven tube amp but I also love the convenience of a battery powered, solid state amp. What to do? Enter Matsumin Valvecaster. This is a simple, low voltage pedal that drives a 12AU7 tube to pretty convincing overdrive.

I like the retro feel of tubes and I thought this clever and rich pedal circuit needed a stylish home in keeping with the feel of its main component.

I spotted 2 vintage Weston electrical meters online and the idea hit me, mount the valve externally and make a show of it. I took cues from the shape of the upper plinth and the meters viewing window and after some careful measuring of the tube, socket and meters body I made a template and cut 6 cooling fins from 2mm aluminium. After further measuring I drilled the tube hole and mounting points. I used 5mm hex stand offs between each fin. After a lot of sanding and finishing the radiator was done.

I removed all of the meters guts and external fittings and drilled where I needed to for the power input (no room for an internal battery) and pilot light ( a fender amp jewel light with a led imbedded in it with translucent silicone for diffusion. The Valvecaster has 3 controls, volume, tone and gain. The meter had 4 terminals so I fitted a 4th pot that switches on and can set the brightness of a 3mm led that illuminates the tube from below emulating a tubes glow. I drilled out the meters original brass terminal screws and used them as control knobs.

The input and output jacks fit amazingly well owing to the efficient and space saving point to point wiring of the circuits components onto the valve socket itself. I used a daughter board on the foot switch which makes true bypass, ground connections and hook ups a cinch.

And there we have it, a real tube based, Machine age style overdrive emulator pedal...as used by The Rocketeer!

Marshall Arts

Holy! Taking it serious, aren't you? Probably the most awesome and unique pedal I've seen so far...

Tom Lauten

Lol...thanks! Sometimes I gotta "go big or go home"! My business is special effects so my prop making hat goes on.

Betty Wont

That is very pretty. I'm in awe!

Gnarcade

This is gorgeous! Looks like something straight out of one of the "Fallout" games!

Tom Lauten

cooder

Fabulous! Style, looks, all the story behind it recycling that meter... effin' awesome!
BigNoise Amplification

mjg

Wow, that's beautiful.  I really like the cooling fins. 

Turnip-Tone

Absolutely fantastic! Very unique morphing with outstanding 'almost Steam Punk' ingenuity. Looks a treat. :)

jubal81

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Tom Lauten

storyboardist

Quote from: Gnarcade on June 27, 2018, 02:26:05 PM
This is gorgeous! Looks like something straight out of one of the "Fallout" games!

+1 That looks incredible!
Guy behind Effects Layouts

Tom Lauten

Thanks again, just did some basic decals...I'll post some shots later.

Tom Lauten

blearyeyes

That is spectacular! Nothing else like it so 1st place for originality!

That is really FUN!