News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Home Vinyl Cutters for pedal graphics

Started by chromesphere, June 28, 2018, 04:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromesphere

Probably just another finishing option i wont pull the trigger on (their expensive) but i was wondering if you guys have used anything like this?  I know you can get vinyls made up online and are pretty cheap but i like the convenience idea and instant result of something you could use at home.  I saw somebody's pedal over at /r/diypedals and they said they used a Cricut.  The detail of the vinyl was very intricate.  They also cut foils which could be a nightmare to adhere to a pedal face but would look pretty cool if you could do it.

Has anybody used vinyls before (of any shape or kind)?  Are they durable?  Can you (should you) clear coat over the top?

Man if they were a bit cheaper id grab one just for a bit of fun...

Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

somnif

My local shopping mall has a "cut-while-you-wait" vinyl sticker vendor. I know the sticker I bought that my buddy put on his car's back window has survived Arizona weather quite well for some time, but no idea about how easy/difficult it is to clearcoat it. Nor what its footstomp durability it.

But, I can confirm it handles intricacy fairly well, and is quite quick.

culturejam

I bought a craft cutter a few years ago. It does paper, cardstock, and vinyl. Works great for making stickers, stencils, etc. If you or a family member to any scrapbooking, they are immensely useful.

Dr. Scientist used to do their pedal graphics with vinyl. Most types of clear coat will ruin it, but I believe acrylic clear is fine to use with it. I asked Ryan a long time ago what type he used, and I think that's what he said it was.   You can also make spray paint stencils with a craft cutter, which is useful.

Here's the one I have. The software is actually halfway decent. Blades last a long time unless you cut a lot of thicker cardstock.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

davent

I wouldn't use the cutouts as the graphic but the machine could be real handy for  making paint stencils.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

chromesphere

Thanks guys, interesting info. 

I've seen someone using foil (with a slightly sticky back) and pressing it onto a coffee mug.  This could be another option for pedal finishing.  I usually epoxy these days so vinyl or foil would probably be ok.   I also like the stencil idea.  Its a pretty cool machine, it would be alot of fun to have one around...(must resist...)

davent

Our public library has this one, Roland CAMM-1 GS 24 Vinyl Cutter, that you can book time on, just have to pay for the vinyl used, $1/ft-30cm. Though not sure whether it would fit our needs...

http://www.hpl.ca/vinyl-cutter-0

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

cooder

Quote from: davent on June 29, 2018, 06:18:27 PM
Our public library has this one, Roland CAMM-1 GS 24 Vinyl Cutter, that you can book time on, just have to pay for the vinyl used, $1/ft-30cm. Though not sure whether it would fit our needs...

http://www.hpl.ca/vinyl-cutter-0

dave
Must suggest that to our public library here... not sure of the success chances ..
BigNoise Amplification

chromesphere

Wow, $2500 :)  Thats a serious vinyl cutter! 

I know of people that have had vinyl decals cut (online) and used them on pedals.  I'm still curious of how a Cricut vinyl decal would hold up, particularly unprotected.  I know, it could peal off.  I was just thinking of diy, build it and throw it in the cupboard durability, not band on the road, throw it in a bag full of hard objects durability. :)

Stomptown

My buddy has a vinyl cutter and uses it to mask enclosures for etching graphics. It would be a good option for those who struggle with toner transfers.

culturejam

Quote from: chromesphere on June 29, 2018, 06:26:22 PM
I'm still curious of how a Cricut vinyl decal would hold up, particularly unprotected. 

It would get messed up pretty fast. You really need to clearcoat over them for something like a pedal.

The really nice vinyl designed for direct sun/UV exposure would probably last longer, but even that would likely get peeled off before long. The best option for non-coating would be to do a full-face sticker with the design cut out out if, rather than going the other way.

chromesphere

I was thinking of a full faced "inverse" vinyl, i guess the lettering would have to be thick as well (thin bits are probably going to peal of easily).   

I guess the best option for pedals with this cutter i can see so far would be the rub on foil with something sealing it. 

That's a shame, i was thinking it could be something i could supply with kits thats quick and easy for people to use on their projects.   Might still be an option i suppose...its probably the easiest / simpliest way to add some graphics to a pedal face (followed shortly by waterslides)

culturejam

Well don't let me be the downer on your idea. I've never actually tried it on a pedal, but based on other applications I think it might have some durability issues with typical vinyl. But there's a great way to find out for sure. ;)

chromesphere

No at all CJ, thanks for your help!  If i follow through with it i will let you all know how i go experimenting.

BuGG

Quote from: chromesphere on July 01, 2018, 04:14:57 PM
No at all CJ, thanks for your help!  If i follow through with it i will let you all know how i go experimenting.

I have a vinyl cutter here, I've thought about using it for the occasional one-off but have never actually done it.   It's fairly durable but you'll be able to peel it off if you try.   As mentioned earlier, it holds up quite well on vehicles in the weather and survives car washes.

In my experience extremely small print may not be possible (also remember you have to hand-weed the "negative space" vinyl), but standard sized label text and reasonable graphics should be.

Personally I would prefer it over waterslide / clearcoat, I hate dealing with that mess.  ;D

However.... As far as easy / quick pedal graphics are concerned, so far my favorite method (aside from professional UV printing) is to have "PCB" faceplates fabricated. 
This allows you to align/size the holes with great accuracy.   They pop right on and the other hardware holds them in place.   Also if the layout is symmetrical you can print a different pedal on each side of the board.   This is great for one-offs / custom builds.

oip

hot damn, they look awesome

off topic but there's a whole little cottage industry of people doing the same (PCB fab) with eurorack panels

gold foil cutting is definitely something i'd be interested in, been thinking about ways to get gold foil letting and best plan i got is waterslide decal over gold paint/foil, with the decal being the black mask and clear over the lettering.