News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Happy Birthday NGD!!!

Started by jimilee, June 29, 2018, 07:24:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

So, as you all know I went to Memphis last weekend to celebrate my birthday. I usually go to Nashville, but I wanted to tour the Gibson factory. Long story short, my wife bought me a guitar while we were at Gibson.

It's a 2018 studio smokeburst. It's got push pull pots, 57 classic in the neck, 57 classic plus in the bridge. It sounds so smooth. It does have weight relief, which I don't care for, but I'm not sure why. They really got this one right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

zombie_rock123

Dat grain  8) happy (belated) birthday.
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

Adam_DIY

That looks excellent enjoy it Jimi

culturejam

Neck binding on a Studio. Nice!
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

stringsthings

Nice guitar!  Luvs those black speed knobs.
All You Need Is Love

culturejam

Also, I'll bet that rug really ties the room together.

jimilee

Quote from: culturejam on June 29, 2018, 11:37:56 AM
Also, I'll bet that rug really ties the room together.
I'm gonna have to go with yes it does. It's a pretty good sized rug.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

cooder

Great score!
The wife I mean... ;)

Nice guitar too.
BigNoise Amplification

pickdropper

That looks great, Jimi!

I too dig the binding on the new studios.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

culturejam

Quote from: pickdropper on June 29, 2018, 03:44:29 PMI too dig the binding on the new studios.

Honestly, the body and neck binding is the primary reason I bought a Standard over a Studio (most recently). If the Studios get body binding as well and also don't get a huge price jump, that will be very compelling to a lot of vanity whores like me.

Zigcat

Quote from: culturejam on June 29, 2018, 04:27:05 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on June 29, 2018, 03:44:29 PMI too dig the binding on the new studios.

Honestly, the body and neck binding is the primary reason I bought a Standard over a Studio (most recently). If the Studios get body binding as well and also don't get a huge price jump, that will be very compelling to a lot of vanity whores like me.

Wouldn't it just be a Standard then? I think we just really want a Standard at the Studio price.

jimilee

Quote from: Zigcat on June 29, 2018, 05:14:30 PM
Quote from: culturejam on June 29, 2018, 04:27:05 PM

Wouldn't it just be a Standard then? I think we just really want a Standard at the Studio price.
This one wouldn't look right with body binding, but the other burts do. This one was 1659, the other studios I have were 1499, so it's not too far off.

jubal81

Whoooeeew. Classy. You'll have to find some leather-bound books to arrange around that rich mahogany.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

culturejam

I thought there were some hardware and/or pickup differences, but maybe I'm wrong. And usually the Standards have the cooler looking finishes (and/or more options on the finish), but I guess that varies year to year. Oh, and Standard has the headstock inlay vs painted logo (not that I actually care all that much). I think the inlays in the fretboard are acrylic vs MOP. Usually the body carve is deeper on a Standard. It's all small stuff, as far as I can tell.

But damn, I gotta have binding. I wish I didn't because it would be a lot easier on my bank account.

jimilee

Quote from: culturejam on June 29, 2018, 06:48:36 PM

I thought there were some hardware and/or pickup differences, but maybe I'm wrong. And usually the Standards have the cooler looking finishes (and/or more options on the finish), but I guess that varies year to year. Oh, and Standard has the headstock inlay vs painted logo (not that I actually care all that much). I think the inlays in the fretboard are acrylic vs MOP. Usually the body carve is deeper on a Standard. It's all small stuff, as far as I can tell.

But damn, I gotta have binding. I wish I didn't because it would be a lot easier on my bank account.
I have a studio that came with burstbuckers and one with 490 and 498, so it spends on the model.