News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

How come nobody talks about Kenny Wayne Shepherd?

Started by jimilee, July 03, 2018, 01:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

I accidentally heard him on Pandora, and wow! I do like what I hear. How come nobody speaks of this lad?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Rockhorst

Good question. I think he's less in the spotlight because he 'only' plays guitar, so he's sort of the front man but not? (that's what popped into my mind in comparison to Mayer and Bonamassa).

gordo

Ummm, he's defacto old school standard.  Tons of good stuff out there.  If you're at the KWS stage check out Eric Gales and Gary Clark Jr.  It branches out from there.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Aentons

I also wonder why you never hear guitar players talk about Tuck from Tuck&Patti. I saw them on BET in the 90's and I am still picking my jaw up off the floor.

https://youtu.be/_nvrb513_Zg

culturejam

Talking frequently about KWS would be very similar to blue on black, cold on ice, or perhaps a dead many's touch. Whisper on a scream? Maybe.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jimilee

Déjà voodoo born with a broken heart, the first album so far. I see he is touring with Beth heart right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

woolie

I saw Tuck&Patti live in a small venue in Vancouver BC in '93/94. I was already a fan and they blew me away. Their records don't do them justice, and I love them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Zigcat

I remember hearing "Blue on Black" when I was younger, because they played it on the classic rock stations all the time. I used to be so proud that I could identify the effects he was using. "You hear that high pitched octave sound? That's an Octavia." Everyone would be like, "yeah, Andy. No one cares." But I did!

jimilee

He's got so many better songs than blue on black. That one is kind of poppy. Maybe that's why I've never paid attention to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lars

Yeah, I remember when Ledbetter Heights came out in '95, and KWS was very popular then. That was also when the whole SRV scene was extremely popular as well. I think he got pigeonholed simply as an "SRV clone", so his popularity quickly faded as the 90's came to a close.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

EBRAddict

I saw him at Riverfest in Rockford, IL almost 20 years ago. There were literally 12 people in the audience including me. I think it was right before he started getting airplay.

Hefty

have you heard him play with Steven Stills in "The Rides" Great stuff they both are great guitarists

alanp

Every time I see this thread, I'm reminded of the Australian mockumentary "Kenny", about the port-a-potty man. (Good man, good film.)

I may need to look up this KWS fulla.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Bret608

I don't really know his stuff beyond Blue on Black, but I have a soft spot for him anyway because he's from my hometown (Shreveport, LA).

pickdropper

Quote from: lars on July 04, 2018, 04:24:55 PM
Yeah, I remember when Ledbetter Heights came out in '95, and KWS was very popular then. That was also when the whole SRV scene was extremely popular as well. I think he got pigeonholed simply as an "SRV clone", so his popularity quickly faded as the 90's came to a close.

That was my first thought as well.  I remember many people viewing him as an SRV-wannabe back then, even if it wasn't quite fair.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper