News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

FV1 builds, Tye-Dye & All-in-one Tapanator

Started by dan.schumaker, July 11, 2018, 06:50:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan.schumaker

Here is a few things I've had kicking around for a while, just got a chance to finish them up after the amp was done.

First two are some FV-1 pedals from PedalPCB.  Its the Octagon and the Unison Double Track

Next is the Tye Dye Parallel Delay.

And I've been wanting to do this one for a while.  I had the Tapanator system all made up and mounted on a board.  It worked just fine, but with 4 enclosures and wires everywhere, it took up space and just looked messy.  So I put everything in a 1590DD and am very happy with it (the inside is still a mess, but with the back cover on, I don't see it).

jimilee

What a great idea with the tapanator. I think I will knick that idea, I just ordered a 1599DD for no reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

dan.schumaker

Quote from: jimilee on July 11, 2018, 07:05:02 AM
What a great idea with the tapanator. I think I will knick that idea, I just ordered a 1599DD for no reason.

Go for it!  I'm pretty sure I took the idea from someone on here as well...

cooder

Awesome! And that tap-a-monster is great indeed!
BigNoise Amplification

nzCdog

Tapanatorator! What a beast, looks like lots of fun.  How do you rate those FV1 projects?
Nice builds  8)

ahiddentableau

Quote from: nzCdog on July 12, 2018, 01:17:23 AM
How do you rate those FV1 projects?

I'm also interested in your opinion of the FV-1 builds, especially the double tracker.

I just built an Octogan a couple days ago.  I really like it, especially the delays.  They are absolutely fabulous.  I'm jonesing for a DMD-2 now.  However, I'm finding it a bit noisy at past 3 o'clock on the mix knob.  How's the noise on yours?

dan.schumaker

I like them, all FV-1 builds are more-or-less the same.  The wrapping around the FV-1 chip doesn't really deviate from one build to the other.  I like the double tracker, it has a really interesting sound.  The only downside, is that BUGG has the newer version that switches between three detune programs, I would have wanted that one!

I haven't really noticed any noise on my Octagon, but I don't remember any specific times running my mix that high either.

ahiddentableau

Quote from: dan.schumaker on July 12, 2018, 07:00:46 AM
I haven't really noticed any noise on my Octagon, but I don't remember any specific times running my mix that high either.

Is it just my pedal, then?  To be clear, when I back the mix down below 3 o'clock or so, the noise is not a problem at all.  And at that spot on the pot it's plenty wet.  But for ambient type stuff 100% wet is sometimes useful, and that position on my octogon has some significant noise.  Background hiss.  Just the noise floor, I'm pretty sure.

If I'm not feeling lazy I'll try rewiring the input and output with shielded wire to see if that makes a difference, but my intuition tells me it's the limit of the circuit and its components that's the culprit.  Just rather be told by someone than do it myself!

BuGG

Quote from: ahiddentableau on July 13, 2018, 01:21:04 PMIs it just my pedal, then?

The FV-1 isn't dead silent in any application, but the noise floor is more apparent in a 100% wet situation.
There are a couple things you can do to reduce the noise in your build though.   

Increase the value of C14 (120pF) - Anywhere from 470pF - 1nF, you'll have to find a nice middle ground between less noise / treble attenuation

If you can live with a little less output boost on tap you have two other options:

1) Decrease the value of R11 to 10K (and increase C14)

or

2) Remove R10 and replace R11 with a jumper wire (optionally omit C13 / C14 since they'll be out of circuit)

ahiddentableau

Quote from: BuGG on July 14, 2018, 08:07:23 AM
The FV-1 isn't dead silent in any application, but the noise floor is more apparent in a 100% wet situation.

Increase the value of C14 (120pF) - Anywhere from 470pF - 1nF, you'll have to find a nice middle ground between less noise / treble attenuation

If you can live with a little less output boost on tap you have two other options:

or

2) Remove R10 and replace R11 with a jumper wire (optionally omit C13 / C14 since they'll be out of circuit)

Quote from: BuGG on July 14, 2018, 08:07:23 AM

or

Thank you for the response Bugg.  I have already done the suggested C14 mod--when I looked at the schematic it was the first thing that crossed my mind.  I'm on the fence about whether the noise improvement is worth the treble attenuation.  As is so often the case, once you to mess with things you can see why the designer made the decisions he did.  But I'm gonna give your other suggestions a go since I don't think I'm ever likely to use it much (if at all) past unity gain.

BTW, I'm definitely in for a DMD-2 next time I order.  I really love your delays--you really have a good ear for them.

BuGG

BTW those builds look awesome Dan. 

Good lord, the Tapanator!   That's a lot of stuff in one box!

amcmann95

Those builds are clean!

I need to reorder 1 of those fv-1 builds soon. I think when I was trying to get my chip soldered on it got cooked a little too long and now it has some real nasty clipping to it, even at low levels. I love what I hear from it currently though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk