News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Top mounted jacks.... one day, I'll get it right.

Started by Willybomb, July 12, 2018, 06:12:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willybomb

Top mounted jacks are something I struggle with normally.  Too close to the corners, not far enough away from the pots, all the usual things.

This time though, I drilled out the face of the pedal, and flipped it up to drill the jacks, and then realised I'd drilled the wrong end after doing both holes.

I'd like to say that I hadn't put the label on yet, but that isn't an excuse as the template had the graphic on it too.  FB has suggested LEDs in the holes, but I'm leaning towards plugs if I can find them...

dan.schumaker

I've definitely been there before (more than once).  Its the worst, a waste of a perfectly good box.  The worst time is when you are on your last box of that size and have to wait to fix your mistake....

sonnyboy27

Any chance you could get some soft switching modules to save some space and keep using the box? I can't remember if the momentary stomp switches are shorter or not.

EBK

I've used JB Weld to fill in misdrills and also to redrill an old enclosure for recycling into a new pedal.  It works pretty well.  An example:
Before repainting (I did add a bit more JB Weld to fill in some divots after I took this pic).

Redrilled and repainted (technically, I'm still painting this one).
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

jimilee

I've used a little electrical tape on the inside and enviro to fill the holes.  Works out ok. LEDs sound cool too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

BuGG

I have a couple of these left if you want one.     

You just drop it on the edge of the enclosure and mark the holes, sets them right where they need to be.    ;)

dan.schumaker

Quote from: BuGG on July 12, 2018, 07:17:29 AM

You just drop it on the edge of the enclosure and mark the holes, sets them right where they need to be.    ;)

That is awesome!  Super clever to make that up.  I need one of those!

davent

Nylon hole plugs, black, low profile, are sold by Mouser, a couple different manufacturers and a wide selection of diameters. They look good, like they're meant to be there.

https://www.mouser.ca/ProductDetail/Keystone-Electronics/8600?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsQtlBhqKq43aMDmho0KU6S

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

jimilee

I need one of those

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Hirti

Quote from: BuGG on July 12, 2018, 07:17:29 AM

I need this!  ;D

gordo

Damn, just put those up on the site and they'll fly of the shelves...ummm...baker's racks...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

brucer

Quote from: gordo on July 12, 2018, 06:53:15 PM
Damn, just put those up on the site and they'll fly of the shelves...ummm...baker's racks...

umm, yeah ... I could use one for sure.   Might save some enclosures.  Half of my 125B builds either have DC jacks colliding with PCBs or TR jacks colliding with lip on the back cover   :-[

krisk

Quote from: gordo on July 12, 2018, 06:53:15 PM
I know I'd get one with my next order!

m-Kresol

I would greatly appreciate it, if you could share a template for this! I imagine, ordering this from oshpark will be very cheap and easy..
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials