News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Top mounted jacks.... one day, I'll get it right.

Started by Willybomb, July 12, 2018, 06:12:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

Yet another very awesome thing that makes me say: "Why didn't *I* think of that?"
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

zombie_rock123

Thats awesome and would definitely pick one up in your store
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

selfdestroyer

Super awesome. I love a good jig to make thing easier. This is fantastically simple.

Cody

alanp

Quote from: m-Kresol on July 13, 2018, 07:12:45 AM
I would greatly appreciate it, if you could share a template for this! I imagine, ordering this from oshpark will be very cheap and easy..

The mouse nibbles on the edge of OSHPark PCBs might screw with the registration of the template on the enclosure edges, though.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

BuGG

Quote from: alanp on July 13, 2018, 06:56:07 PM
The mouse nibbles on the edge of OSHPark PCBs might screw with the registration of the template on the enclosure edges, though.

Yep.  To prevent this from being a problem these are built from three individual non-panelized PCBs.   It costs a bit more to do it this way but it gives each part a much nicer edge.

I didn't expect so many folks to be interested, let me see how many I have left and I'll get some more on the way if needed.   

Willybomb

I'll definitely be getting one from you BuGG.  Unfortunately, it just means that I'll have perfectly aligned holes at the wrong end.

Update:  I cut up my spare label and filled the holes with PVA...

lars

Quote from: EBK on July 12, 2018, 06:34:33 AM
I've used JB Weld to fill in misdrills and also to redrill an old enclosure for recycling into a new pedal.  It works pretty well.  An example:
Before repainting (I did add a bit more JB Weld to fill in some divots after I took this pic).

+1 on this. I've used this same method and it definitely works. I haven't had any problems with the JB weld "plug" cracking or falling out. It seems to be nearly as tough as the original aluminum.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

culturejam

Quote from: lars on July 14, 2018, 08:52:52 AM
+1 on this. I've used this same method and it definitely works. I haven't had any problems with the JB weld "plug" cracking or falling out. It seems to be nearly as tough as the original aluminum.

What do you guys use on the back side to hold the JB Weld in place while it dries? Tape?

EBK

Quote from: culturejam on July 14, 2018, 10:31:22 AM
Quote from: lars on July 14, 2018, 08:52:52 AM

What do you guys use on the back side to hold the JB Weld in place while it dries? Tape?
Gaffer's tape is what I used.  Also, I don't remember if I got this tip here or over at DIYSB, but slightly beveling the hole that you are about to plug on both sides (as if you are slightly countersinking) may give your JB Weld "coin" a bit more security.  I wouldn't call it a necessary step though. 
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

culturejam

Govmnt_Lacky

Just as with any other template, it is made for a specific thing. My question is what if there are components or other items that interfered with the jacks or power plug? It's all well and good for guts that have plenty of clearance but, what if that is not the case? Essentially, every design would have to be produced with that template in mind.

culturejam

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on July 14, 2018, 02:32:20 PM
Just as with any other template, it is made for a specific thing. My question is what if there are components or other items that interfered with the jacks or power plug? It's all well and good for guts that have plenty of clearance but, what if that is not the case? Essentially, every design would have to be produced with that template in mind.

Yep, and that's why standardizing around a single set of hardware placements saves a ton of time and money in a production environment. 

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: culturejam on July 14, 2018, 05:11:09 PM
Yep, and that's why standardizing around a single set of hardware placements saves a ton of time and money in a production environment.

Gotcha. So this would only be viable for those who are comercial builders then. Now I understand.

culturejam

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on July 14, 2018, 05:13:46 PM
Gotcha. So this would only be viable for those who are comercial builders then. Now I understand.

I think hobbyists would get some use out of it, but it does sort of limit your options. If you like to build each pedal with a totally unique setup, templates are probably not ideal.

Willybomb

If it fits into your design parameters, it'll be a massive timesaver.

In all honesty, most of my pedals use the same template as far as in/out/power goes, with variation depending on what controls are necessary.