News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bring back Buck! / Ultrastoner content

Started by cooder, July 13, 2018, 11:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooder

Here's a pedal that can rip your ball sack and you just keep playing.

So hence the name.
I'm not a real Rugby head, however this story deserves commemorating with an in yer face kinda pedal like the Ultrastoner (thanks Grindcustom and crew, shame the site is down!).
From Wikipedia:
"Wayne 'Buck' Shellford made his Test debut for the All Blacks later that year against France in a 19–7 victory in Toulouse, and then was a notable victim of the infamous "Battle of Nantes" in the second Test. Roughly 20 minutes into the match, he was caught at the bottom of a rather aggressive ruck, and an errant French boot found its way into Shelford's groin, somehow ripping his scrotum and leaving one testicle hanging free. He also lost four teeth in the process. Incredibly, after discovering the injury to his scrotum, he calmly asked the physio to stitch up the tear and returned to the field before a blow to his head left him concussed. He was substituted and watched the remainder of the game from the grandstand where he witnessed the All Blacks lose 16–3. To this day Shelford has no memory of the game."
And:
"In 1990, the All Black selectors decided that Shelford was not up to the standard for the team and was controversially dropped after the test series against Scotland. The general public were unhappy with this decision, especially when the All Blacks lost the third test of their next series against Australia, ending a 17-test winning streak (and 49 game streak including non-tests) [1]. After this fans started appearing at games with signs saying "Bring Back Buck", which continues even to this day at sporting events throughout the world. "

So far then for a bit of New Zealand folklore...

Back to the pedal: grunt provided by 4 noice old school Telefunken BC109C trannies, I did off board wire the pots as I was stubborn enough to want Vol top left Gain top right.

A fun uncompromising pedal with lotsa tweak ability. I like the Shape pot and clipping options.
Acrylic faceplate over laser printed water slide decal.

BigNoise Amplification

nzCdog

Wow... So clean! Pretty horrific tale that, ingrained into kiwi folk lore... 'he played on'!  :o
The graphics are so neat too, great job Stefan! :)

cooder

Quote from: nzCdog on July 14, 2018, 04:01:33 AM
Wow... So clean! Pretty horrific tale that, ingrained into kiwi folk lore... 'he played on'!  :o
The graphics are so neat too, great job Stefan! :)
Cheers Cody!
Yes it is a crazy "game" and big part of the way over heightened "toughen' up" mentality that's still ingrained in the folk lore here too. He played on while he should have stayed off the pitch.
BigNoise Amplification

mjg

That's an eye watering story.... Nice work on the pedal, too.   ;D

ahiddentableau

I like the pedal.  I loved the story.  But I would respond more to Kane Williamson plays a steady fifty in harsh conditions to make the Aussies cry kind of tale.  You know, a story that still has balls, but not any that end up dangling outside of their protective coverings.

cooder

Quote from: ahiddentableau on July 14, 2018, 05:34:10 PM
I like the pedal.  I loved the story.  But I would respond more to Kane Williamson plays a steady fifty in harsh conditions to make the Aussies cry kind of tale.  You know, a story that still has balls, but not any that end up dangling outside of their protective coverings.
I know. It hurts when you read it. Not something you wanna go on about for too long. :o
BigNoise Amplification

diablochris6

Great build. Horrible story. Reminds me of an insurance claim where a worker in a factory liked to place his scrotum on a conveyor belt until a loose staple at the seam split it open. So, to not get in trouble, the worker stapled it together but then got an infection and had to go to the hospital.

Also, I worked at a school with Virgil Livers, a football player that had a testicle EXPLODE during a game. http://www.espn.com/general/page2/story?id=7065641&src=desktop
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

mjg

For some reason any story about New Zealand makes me try to fit it to a scene from Lord of the Rings. 

"I can't carry your testicle for you, Mr Frodo, but I can carry you!"

ahiddentableau

Can this thread please go two posts without some ghastly ball-busting story?  I'm sitting cross-legged now and I really can't help it.

cooder

Quote from: diablochris6 on July 14, 2018, 08:37:05 PM
Great build. Horrible story. Reminds me of an insurance claim where a worker in a factory liked to place his scrotum on a conveyor belt until a loose staple at the seam split it open. So, to not get in trouble, the worker stapled it together but then got an infection and had to go to the hospital.

Also, I worked at a school with Virgil Livers, a football player that had a testicle EXPLODE during a game. http://www.espn.com/general/page2/story?id=7065641&src=desktop
I couldn't read more than two paragraphs of that article... and I'm not going to play any of those sports or mess with a conveyor belt... :o
Quote from: mjg on July 14, 2018, 09:55:33 PM
For some reason any story about New Zealand makes me try to fit it to a scene from Lord of the Rings. 

"I can't carry your testicle for you, Mr Frodo, but I can carry you!"
It's what we do down here. Just read (as far as you can stomach) diabolochris's link:
" At the annual Shepherd's Shemozzle held each November in Hunterville, New Zealand, contestants race 50 meters with bull testicles in their mouths. According to 2008 Shemozzle champion Josh Masters, the best part of the competition is that the bull's balls "weren't connected to anything.""
BigNoise Amplification

cooder

Quote from: ahiddentableau on July 14, 2018, 10:54:31 PM
Can this thread please go two posts without some ghastly ball-busting story?  I'm sitting cross-legged now and I really can't help it.
Maybe we could steer it towards Armadillos....?
BigNoise Amplification

somnif

Quote from: cooder on July 14, 2018, 10:57:36 PM
Maybe we could steer it towards Armadillos....?

Well, if you insist.....

somnif

Also, if I may add, those are some strange looking 1n4148's. Its amazing to think someone was smart enough to use a light color body so you could actually read the black print on them. What a concept.

cooder

Quote from: somnif on July 14, 2018, 11:47:27 PM
Also, if I may add, those are some strange looking 1n4148's. Its amazing to think someone was smart enough to use a light color body so you could actually read the black print on them. What a concept.
I think I got those from chromesphere / diyguitarpedals. I think he said they were some NOS Telefunken ones or so.
Crunchy on the inside.
BigNoise Amplification

culturejam

God, I hated laying out that PCB.  ;D

Nice build, though!
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects