News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Yet-to-be-named wah pedal

Started by mjg, July 14, 2018, 11:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonnyboy27

That is a hot looking wah. Well done sir.

drog_trog

Hey, nice job, i would like to build a wah myself some day. Is that the GEP-2 enclosure that you have used?

mjg

Enclosure was from a local place (Australia) as it was the only place I could get one that wasn't going to cost $50 shipping.  I got it from here http://www.pedalpartsaustralia.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=1198

The quality was ok, but it seemed to me that it was put together by someone who didn't know what all the bits were for.  None of the holes had threads for the screws, they included a small cable tie for the clutch, which didn't even reach the rack/pinion.  It was pretty bizarre.  The place I bought it from was good, they sent me replacement bits free of charge to fix that. 

Let me know if you want one of the PCBs, I've got spare and I'll be selling them off at some point. 

drog_trog

mjg

Ahh, yep, that looks like the same kit, only difference seems to be the clutch that I got was smaller.  If you get that kit, be prepared to tap the threads for the screw holes.  I made a bit of a mess of that part.

Yes I used eagle to design the board.

ahiddentableau

Great job.  I really like the knobs with the paint.  Did you use one of those diamond/carbide fine-tip grinding attachments for your rotary?  Just kind of be very-very-very careful and get it right without the rotary slipping?  I'm intersted in the specifics of how you did it.

drog_trog

Can i be cheeky and ask if you could you copy your Eagle 'Dimension and Hole layer' into a new .brd file for me so i can design my own.

mjg

Quote from: ahiddentableau on July 21, 2018, 09:42:16 PM
Great job.  I really like the knobs with the paint.  Did you use one of those diamond/carbide fine-tip grinding attachments for your rotary?  Just kind of be very-very-very careful and get it right without the rotary slipping?  I'm intersted in the specifics of how you did it.

I started out with a 1.5mm drill bit in my hand held drill, and carefully drilled a pilot hole a few mm deep.  Don't go deeper than the dimple you want to make. 

Then, I used a diamond fine grinding attachment, one of the spherical ones.  Gently press it onto the pilot hole and it hopefully won't slip - the hole should hold it in place.  Push down until you've got a nice concave area.

Hope that helps!

mjg

Quote from: drog_trog on July 22, 2018, 02:27:34 AM
Can i be cheeky and ask if you could you copy your Eagle 'Dimension and Hole layer' into a new .brd file for me so i can design my own.

Sure, I can do that.  It might be a few days before I get time

ahiddentableau

Quote from: mjg on July 22, 2018, 03:08:16 PM
I started out with a 1.5mm drill bit in my hand held drill, and carefully drilled a pilot hole a few mm deep.  Don't go deeper than the dimple you want to make. 

Then, I used a diamond fine grinding attachment, one of the spherical ones.  Gently press it onto the pilot hole and it hopefully won't slip - the hole should hold it in place.  Push down until you've got a nice concave area.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the details.  Gonna have to give that a shot.

mjg

A few late additions to the wah pedal.  A name plate, and a light up bottom panel.  Because if you're going to go over-the-top, might as well go all the way. 

Name plate is water slide decal printed in mirror image, then sprayed with the backing colour.  Then I've put it on the back of some clear acrylic to make the plate. 

Light panel is some red transparent acrylic, that I've cut on the router table to the same size as the existing panel. 

You can still see the individual LEDs... which is probably because I sanded the sides down to about 2000 grit, so it's quite clear.  Should I have made it rougher on the edges to diffuse the light more? 

gordo

That's just so over the top on so many levels.  Damn fine job across the board with design, build, and boxing.  It's so inspiring to see this stuff.  Well done!!!
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?