News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

1590A and PT2399

Started by stevie1556, July 16, 2018, 12:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevie1556

I've only built a handful of 1590A pedals with through hole components which was several years ago, and can't decide on how to do a couple that I've got. I'm waiting for various bits and pieces to arrive so I went through one of my old parts bins and found some PCBs that I bought off someone for the Deep Blue Delay. I've managed to find out it's the Sea Flea and the layout was done by Alan P, but I'm wondering if anyone else that has built them has soldered the chips direct to the board or used a socket. I'm thinking about the space and clearance to the enclosure lid (and the fact that I don't have any sockets for them at the moment).

Zigcat

You can solder it directly. 2399s can be hit or miss in terms of motorboating, so as long as you verify its a good chip in another circuit, it should be good. Just solder one pin at a time, letting the chip cool in between so you do not overheat it.

pickdropper

You can do either way if you plan it out, but it's a tight fit with the socket.

I've done it with full sized enclosed jacks, machined socket and PT2399.  I'm not a fan of leaf spring sockets so I haven't checked the clearance with those.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

alanp

I used leafspring sockets. It fit okay :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

dan.schumaker

I've used sockets as well, no issues in a 1590A

stevie1556

Quote from: Zigcat on July 16, 2018, 01:07:54 PM
You can solder it directly. 2399s can be hit or miss in terms of motorboating, so as long as you verify its a good chip in another circuit, it should be good. Just solder one pin at a time, letting the chip cool in between so you do not overheat it.

Ideally I want to use a socket, just in case any of the chips are bad. I hate soldering chips directly to the boards but if needs must.....

Quote from: pickdropper on July 16, 2018, 04:05:16 PM
You can do either way if you plan it out, but it's a tight fit with the socket.

I've done it with full sized enclosed jacks, machined socket and PT2399.  I'm not a fan of leaf spring sockets so I haven't checked the clearance with those.

I use the full size enclosed jacks. I'm just not keep on the machined pin sockets, never seem to have worked very well for me. But good to know that they fit!

Quote from: alanp on July 17, 2018, 07:03:06 AM
I used leafspring sockets. It fit okay :)

Ah that's good to hear, I like the leaf spring sockets. Great layout BTW, although it's extremely compact! Looking forward to getting them finished and boxed up, just waiting for some pre-drilled enclosures to come from Hammond.

Quote from: dan.schumaker on July 17, 2018, 09:47:56 AM
I've used sockets as well, no issues in a 1590A

Cheers for that. Definitely gonna try fitting the PT2399 with a socket then :)

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk