News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Surfy Bear Reverb Project

Started by thesmokingman, July 17, 2018, 08:49:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thesmokingman

I'll be updating this one once I'm completely finished. I need to add feet (so it sits on the amp head properly straddling the handle), control labels, and probably do some wire management inside. It definitely needs a sex wax sticker on there for legitimacy but a local surf shop sticker is a nice start. This is on an older revision of the board that I found when unpacking a couple boxes of garage stuff leftover from my move. Wonderful spring reverb, plenty of drip available, and the EQ with the reverb dialed out is really nice and warm. 
The downside is working with such a cheap enclosure(less than $20 for a 19.1" tool box). The metal dents from center punching and dents worse with drilling, it was also a little beat up in shipping. This particular cheap Chinese one takes a while to get even through Home Depot so I just rolled with it rather than return it. The upside is you've got real estate for artwork or surf shop decals.

once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

drog_trog

mjg

Very cool.  What sort of spring unit thingy have you got in there?

thesmokingman

belton/accutronics 4AB3C1B reverb pan, just like the standalone fender reverb unit.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

somnif

Quote from: thesmokingman on July 17, 2018, 03:24:34 PM
belton/accutronics 4AB3C1B reverb pan, just like the standalone fender reverb unit.

I love how a full sized spring tank is pretty much the same price as a Belton brick. For my 20$ I know the tone I'd shoot for  ;D

(also, the toolbox enclosure is brilliant)

cooder

Awesome! There's space in there left for a Leslie too!
Probably needs a stronger handle then though :D
BigNoise Amplification

alanp

Massive grin on my face at seeing that :D
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

destro

I got this board sitting in the projects bin. I have a dead danelectro spring king reverb that I was thinking of gutting and seeing if the reverb pan will work with it. Seeing that big tank is making me reconsider, though. Awesome idea!

PMowdes2

Nice idea

Here's mine, I opted for an aluminium faceplate and a plywood enclosure

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

DeadEndFX

PMowdes2

I also reworked the PCB so it will fit a 125C enclosure

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

DeadEndFX

jimilee

I have a great big reverb tank out of a long gone amplifier that I want to use to build one of these.  Woodworking is not my forte, so it's gonna take some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

studiodunn

That is awesome!

I am constantly looking for creative ways to use sturdy metal boxes and you nailed it. Plus it looks killer on top of an amp.