News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mutron builds

Started by gordo, July 21, 2018, 06:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

I seem to be going through some sort of Mutron phase.  Pun intended.

Anyway, a couple of boards came up on the radar lately.  BYOC is selling boards to most of their stuff now so I snagged a Mutron Octave Divider.  For any western Canadian old farts like myself (Chicago now) if you saw Paul Dean play with Streetheart you heard a Mutron used to perfection in "Look At Me" and I've lusted after one since I was a kid.

The Mutron Bi-Phase at PedalPCB was too tempting to pass up.  Ironically there was a time that you couldn't GIVE one of these things away.  I had intended to do a similar output thing to the original and put a rotary in the enclosure to handle it.  By the time I fiddled around with it I decided it was overkill.  I may still do something, we'll see...  I also built this before the build docs came out and got the switches reversed in the graphics.  I may redo it...but probably just live with it.

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

fredwreck

Great work i love Mutrons!! How did you do the graphics?

cooder

Excellent! 8)
You could use the rotary to do a UniVibe cap mod in one of the phasers.... different voicings. How about that?
BigNoise Amplification

gordo

That's a good idea, i hadn't considered it. Also might give me incentive to redo the graphic for the switches.

Graphics are done with water slide decals on a color laser printer. The enclosures are raw (Bi-phase), and metallic silver blue powder coat (octave). I think the powder coat was a PPP second.

I'll get it on a scope to set the trims but likely won't get it any better than setting them by ear.
Gordy Power

stringsthings

Both builds look great!  Tidy insides, also.

What LDR's did you use for the biphase?
All You Need Is Love

Yahoo67

They look like tayda's ldr

jimilee

I would love to have a copy of that photoshop file to use as a starting point if you're up to it.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gordo

Not a problem Jimi, I'll post it.  The LDR's ended up being the rather pricey Smallbears that he has made.  I like them and would probably use them for a vibe but here they may be overkill.
Gordy Power

jimilee

Thanks Gordo. I used the tayda ones on mine since it's just for me, they work really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

stringsthings

Quote from: jimilee on July 22, 2018, 01:27:02 PM
Thanks Gordo. I used the tayda ones on mine since it's just for me, they work really well.

I've had good luck with tayda's on my mutron phase 2.
All You Need Is Love

Betty Wont

Did you go with the B25K rate pots on the dual phase? if so do you notice any funkiness or bunching compared to the A25K on the Mutron ii?

jimilee

Quote from: Torgoslayer on July 23, 2018, 08:18:05 AM
Did you go with the B25K rate pots on the dual phase? if so do you notice any funkiness or bunching compared to the A25K on the Mutron ii?
No, but you do have to turn the knob slower.

gordo

Here's the graphics for the Bi-Phase.  It's a translation from PaintShop to Photoshop so let me know if there's any weirdness.  I left the scan of my original drilled enclosure so if you use the PedalPCB template verify that it lines up.

http://www.gordomusic.com/Madbean/Mutron Bi-Drill-MB.psd

I eliminated the rotary switch.  I also corrected my switch flip flop and verified it on my build so now there's even more pressure to tear mine apart and re-do it...
Gordy Power

jimilee

Thanks gordo!