News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Phase 90: Matched 2N5952 or just any J201

Started by JackSkellington, July 26, 2018, 10:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackSkellington

Thank you, I'm considering right that. I still have to do some calculations because I think I can spend less if I buy the single part somewhere else.
Probably I'll buy the matched transistors. I just have to wait the availability there or in another shop.
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»

Marshall Arts

Quote from: jimilee on July 26, 2018, 01:51:08 PM
In my experience, the smd j201s are extremely accurate in that they are pretty well all the same tolerances. Again, that's just in my experience, I used them in a harmonic tremolo.

Just wanted to confirm that experience: I just measured 10 SMD (MMBF201) and 10 TO-92 J201 and the tolerances on MMBFJ201 (SMD) are much tighter than on the traditional TO-92 J201. Measured using the runnoffgroove-Method (http://www.runoffgroove.com/fetzervalve.html).

The Range of the ROG measurement was:
average Vp: -0.83V (spanning from -0.57 to -0.97)
average Idss: 0.64mA (spanning 0.30mA to 0.83mA)

My Result:
100% of the SMDs are in the ROG-range.
0% of the "traditional J201 are in the range (probably all fake...)

Might be a question of sourcing as well, the SMDs are from Musikding (for sure), the J201 I am not sure about. Just ordered cheap ones from ebay, will measure those, when they arrive.

JackSkellington

I could order the MMBFJ201, eventually, from Tayda, just because they are cheaper than the ones from Musikding.
I'm not talking about my Phase 90, but for any other project.

Meanwhile, I ordered a quartet of 2N5952. Not cheap, but it will work for sure.
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»

stringsthings

Quote from: Marshall Arts on September 09, 2018, 09:42:42 AM
Quote from: jimilee on July 26, 2018, 01:51:08 PM
In my experience, the smd j201s are extremely accurate in that they are pretty well all the same tolerances. Again, that's just in my experience, I used them in a harmonic tremolo.

Just wanted to confirm that experience: I just measured 10 SMD (MMBF201) and 10 TO-92 J201 and the tolerances on MMBFJ201 (SMD) are much tighter than on the traditional TO-92 J201. Measured using the runnoffgroove-Method (http://www.runoffgroove.com/fetzervalve.html).

The Range of the ROG measurement was:
average Vp: -0.83V (spanning from -0.57 to -0.97)
average Idss: 0.64mA (spanning 0.30mA to 0.83mA)

My Result:
100% of the SMDs are in the ROG-range.
0% of the "traditional J201 are in the range (probably all fake...)

Might be a question of sourcing as well, the SMDs are from Musikding (for sure), the J201 I am not sure about. Just ordered cheap ones from ebay, will measure those, when they arrive.

Cool.  I'll have to get some SMDs on my next Mouser order.
All You Need Is Love