Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hardware synths vs. Software synths

Started by stringsthings, July 29, 2018, 02:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

movinginslomo

Quote from: stringsthings on August 08, 2018, 11:04:52 AM
Quote from: movinginslomo on August 07, 2018, 10:41:25 PM
I do highly recommend however, Bitley's amazing fairlight collection, and sonic project's staggeringly amazing sounding op-x pro II oberheim ob-x emulation.

very cool.

There's a patch in the OP-X main bank (and also "famous" bank) called "Jump". You know what it is. the minute you play it, it's THE SOUND. There's a youtube video A/Bing the famous sounds to the real thing, sold me right there. The most massively fat analog monster of a synth you could dream of.

gordo

I'm old enough that I toured with keyboard players with Oberheim and Prophet gear and the sound was amazing but meantime between failures got to be exhausting.  Don't miss that part.  As been mentioned though, a blind audio test between some of this stuff... pretty crazy what can be pulled off.  We're getting to the same edge with amp modelers and while it's always cool playing the originals, by the time it goes out thru the PA system to the audience it's a bit of a coin toss.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

movinginslomo

Quote from: gordo on August 11, 2018, 11:38:23 PM
I'm old enough that I toured with keyboard players with Oberheim and Prophet gear and the sound was amazing but meantime between failures got to be exhausting.  Don't miss that part.  As been mentioned though, a blind audio test between some of this stuff... pretty crazy what can be pulled off.  We're getting to the same edge with amp modelers and while it's always cool playing the originals, by the time it goes out thru the PA system to the audience it's a bit of a coin toss.

The op-x pro version actually includes virtual trimpots so you can dial in those "needs tuning" oberheim tones! Apparently some people like them and consider it a "feature" LOL

stringsthings

I always liked those Prophet hardware synths.
All You Need Is Love

peAk

Quote from: stringsthings on August 17, 2018, 05:12:47 PM

Would you believe that in 1999 I found a Prophet 5 in great condition at a Flea Market for $150! I ended up selling it several years later only EBay for like $1500-$1700. I totally wish I had it though. I'd love to own it again not to mention that they sell for $4000-$4500 now.

Ahh.....the days before everyone was on the net. You could score treasures at places like that, Pawn Shops, yard sales....

stringsthings

Quote from: peAk on August 18, 2018, 11:25:15 AM
Quote from: stringsthings on August 17, 2018, 05:12:47 PM

Would you believe that in 1999 I found a Prophet 5 in great condition at a Flea Market for $150! I ended up selling it several years later only EBay for like $1500-$1700. ...

Sweet!
All You Need Is Love

stringsthings

Having a blast jamming along to some cars tunes w/analog lab presets!  8)

disclaimer: There's so many presets, that it takes some time to find the good ones.
All You Need Is Love

selfdestroyer

I have used VSTi's for over 10 years and I agree that the tech has improved greatly over the years. From sound processing to speed of computers to reduce latency to almost 0ms. For me, the down fall of VSTis was the amount of options and presets that were available to me. It seemed to take up more of my time to fiddle around with options and pick pick up lazy habits by using presets out of the box. As I got older and less time to devote to music, I found that the less options/distractions with some hardware has worked out best for me. I still fire up Logic and use many of the Arturia plugins but I have fallen in love with the hardware side of modular synthesis (Eurorack). I love having a piece of hardware that has 1 or 2 primary functions and I get to decide how route everything. Its been a humbling/rewarding experience and I have loved every minute of it.

Software still has a place in my ghetto studio but my hardware is not going anywhere at this point either.

stringsthings

One feature that I like about the analog lab 3 software, is that I can only tweak a few parameters of the presets.
If you upgrade to "V Collection 6", you can now fully edit the presets ... ( i.e. full software synths for unlimited tweaking )

It would be easy to get distracted.  And since "V Collection 6" will set you back $500, one would be tempted to get their money's worth.
As opposed to just finding a sound and making music.

For reference:   Analog Lab 3 was included for free with the MIDI controller.
All You Need Is Love

alanp

There's also the point that I Dream Of Wires raised -- with lots of presets, you tend to just wander through the presets, rather than directly mess with settings yourself.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

peAk

Quote from: alanp on August 22, 2018, 07:43:01 AM
There's also the point that I Dream Of Wires raised -- with lots of presets, you tend to just wander through the presets, rather than directly mess with settings yourself.

That's what Cody was saying.

I have been buying and building more hardware lately but I still love software

I love hardware that can be controlled through software like my Moog Sub Phatty.

I just love it all!!!