News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Best or Worst Batman Villian - not including the Joker

Started by stringsthings, August 02, 2018, 07:30:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stringsthings

I used to have a large number of B-man books.  Thoughts? 
Let's discuss!  :)
All You Need Is Love

trailer

Comic nerd here. My favorite that pops to mind is Two Face in Long Halloween. I also really like Riddler in Zero Year. I know a ton of folks don't like newer Batman but Snyder killed it on his run in my opinion. Hell, Mr. Bloom was pretty awesome and so was the Court of Owls in the first two arcs of Snyder's run but they lost steam for me after that.

Worst villains to me are Bane, Penguin, and Mad Hatter. Those characters always come off pretty generic and I barely make it through any book with them in it. Penguin could be pretty great if he wasn't always facing Batman head on and instead was more like the initial crime bosses Batman faced. Meaning, he can't beat Batman. Bane should have went away after Knightfall ended. I have nothing good to say about Mad Hatter.

alanp

The Clock King was kinda neat, the first time we saw him in BtAS.

And the Ventriloquist. I prefer his backstory to not have bullshit supernatural rubbish, though, it's FAR more disturbing without that. Just like how the bad guys (Jame Gumb, Dr Lecter) in Silence of the Lambs are a lot less disturbing when it just devolves to "Someone else made me do it!"

Mr Freeze (BtAS, again!) was one of the breakout characters of BtAS, just like Harley, but without the T&A to drive him as far as she has. Sympathetic, and more human than Batman, IMO.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

alanp

Quote from: trailer on August 02, 2018, 11:07:31 AM
Comic nerd here. My favorite that pops to mind is Two Face in Long Halloween. I also really like Riddler in Zero Year. I know a ton of folks don't like newer Batman but Snyder killed it on his run in my opinion. Hell, Mr. Bloom was pretty awesome and so was the Court of Owls in the first two arcs of Snyder's run but they lost steam for me after that.

I don't follow the comics -- never had the money growing up, and I don't think any shops in town carried any.

But Two Face has been played too often in the animated series, and movies. Not as often as Joker, true, but Two Face doesn't have Joker's charisma.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

thesmokingman

Ra's al Ghul and I'm ok with the way the character was handled in other media.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

Willybomb

It's a toss up between Superman in Injustice, and Judge Dredd in Vs.

stringsthings

Quote from: thesmokingman on August 02, 2018, 01:14:50 PM
Ra's al Ghul and I'm ok with the way the character was handled in other media.

Have you had a chance to read some of the old Neal Adams books.  IIRC, that's where Ra's started.

Quote from: Willybomb on August 02, 2018, 02:18:35 PM
It's a toss up between Superman in Injustice, and Judge Dredd in Vs.

I'll have to check those stories out.  Did Alex Ross work on Injustice?
All You Need Is Love

trailer

Quote from: alanp on August 02, 2018, 12:34:29 PM
Quote from: trailer on August 02, 2018, 11:07:31 AM

I don't follow the comics -- never had the money growing up, and I don't think any shops in town carried any.

But Two Face has been played too often in the animated series, and movies. Not as often as Joker, true, but Two Face doesn't have Joker's charisma.

If you get a chance, pick up Long Halloween. The art is crazy good and way different than typical comic art. Pretty much all the usual villains make an appearance. Clock King even has a spot. The Dark Knight movie was heavily influenced by Long Halloween.