News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD

Started by madbean, August 03, 2018, 01:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

As per usual, I buy a guitar and then figure out how to pay for it later! Needless to say, some gear will be leaving the beancave to fund this purchase.

However, I got this a a very fair price. Ever since I bought my SGJ in 2014 I'd been lusting after a higher-end SG. I stopped myself from buying a 2016 T P90 several times, even going so far as to install P90's in the SGJ. But, I saw this one and knew the time was right. It's in great condition...a few light scratches on the pickguard but otherwise whole. The seller got it out fast and while I don't think he packed it terribly well it arrived undamaged so I can't complain.

This guitar kills. Within a couple minutes I knew I made the right decision. It plays so, so great. And it also sounds terrific. Raw, and brighter than my SGJ. It's a rock and roll machine! plus, light as can be. Only needs a hard case...someday.

gordo

That's a beauty. I'm jealous, I've never been able to play an SG, the necks are too skinny and always have tuning issues. I play like I'm hanging on for dear life so the poor guitar doesn't stand a chance.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jkokura

I had an SG with p90s, and I LOVED the guitar to play but hated the sound. I keep looking for one I'll love, but nothing yet.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

diablochris6

Looks beautiful. Nice find. I think I've played a Gibson SG once in my life.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

stringsthings

Quote from: jkokura on August 03, 2018, 02:45:21 AM
I had an SG with p90s, and I LOVED the guitar to play but hated the sound. I keep looking for one I'll love, but nothing yet.

Jacob

... you've been lookin' for love ... ( in all the wrong places .. )  :D
All You Need Is Love

Adam_DIY

Nice that's almost my perfect sg.  The only SGs I ever play which I prefer to les Pauls have P90s in them.  I think p90s really suit the thinner all mahogany body. 

matmosphere

Excellent! I know most would disagree but I'd take an SG over a Paul any day. No you can get your Pete Townsend on!

madbean

Quote from: gordo on August 03, 2018, 02:05:48 AM
That's a beauty. I'm jealous, I've never been able to play an SG, the necks are too skinny and always have tuning issues. I play like I'm hanging on for dear life so the poor guitar doesn't stand a chance.

I actually like slim necks...not Ibanez Wizard kind so much but this one feels really comfortable for my smallish hands. Not quite perfect like my S2 neck but close enough that it's easy to get used to. The nut is actually pretty nice. Very slippery and not plastic like the SGJ. No string pings so it seems to be cut correctly. It does appear to have new strings on it and it's acclimating so I've had a couple re-tunes. It's set up for 9's so I will probably re-do it with 10's. It actually held tune through shipping so that's a good sign.

The neck pickup has great balance. Beefy without woof. The bridge pup is definitely not beefy. Like my SGJ it does not have a lot of low end but where it shines is in note articulation with chords and chewiness and attack on single notes. So, it's got a specific sound...not a jack of all trades like a Strat or PRS. But, that's cool. Sometimes you need a certain sound that another guitar just doesn't have.

Bret608

Cool score! I played one of these at GC one time and loved it. Such bite and clarity...also, I found the tone knobs were very effective for smoothing things out when you need it a little less raw.

jimilee

So badass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

culturejam

Nice!

I've been watching some SGs lately as well. It's awesome how (relatively) inexpensive they are.

Now you need to get Timbo to wind you some custom P90s.  8)
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Bret608

Quote from: culturejam on August 03, 2018, 02:58:46 PM
Nice!

I've been watching some SGs lately as well. It's awesome how (relatively) inexpensive they are.

Now you need to get Timbo to wind you some custom P90s.  8)

Yes! That would definitely be the way to go. The custom bridge pickup he did for my Mustang makes it almost as rude as one of these P90-loaded SGs.

jubal81

That's gorgeous. The iconic SG. The one that really gave me sweats was that Pelham blue Jeff Tweedy model.
How's the fretwork? I'm curious how it is coming off the factory Plek these days. Haven't been to a proper guitar store in a couple years.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

pickdropper

Late to the party.  That thing is beautiful.

I'd like to pickup a nice, used SG one of these days.  Not sure when, but someday.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

stringsthings

All You Need Is Love