News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

how 2 blend 2 circuits

Started by tehmessiah75, August 02, 2018, 10:33:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tehmessiah75

Here is my first post for a while if ever.

I have an effect circuit that I want to parallel with a Clean drive circuit and blend it back in together.
1 input -> split to 2 circuits -> blended together with a pot to integrate the clean over the top of the effect. I didn't want to blend the effect out, just integrate the clean into it to 1 output.
How do I do this?
I had the input going into a pot to blend between the 2 circuits but when it mixed the whole circuit turned into a distortion and I got no clean integration.
I think it was at the junction where the 2 signals mixed back together that it got messed up.
Essentially I wanted it to sound like a clean boosted guitar playing the same thing as a distorted guitar next to each other.
Is this even possible?
Will it work?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

cooder

So as far as I understand what you are trying to get I think this might be a circuit that does it.
Have a read through the description:
http://jmkpcbs.com/product/paralyzer/
BigNoise Amplification

Boba7

Hey I just drew this layout, based on Jubal81's Schooner and the paralooper.
I'll build it in a few weeks, it's not verified yet.

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Clean-blend-with-clean-gain-and-tone-trimpots-td43578.html

So basically its a blender with gain and tone trimpots for the clean signal and a buffered loop for the send/return path.

Maybe it can help!

Otherwise check Jubal's Schooner, the paralooper and also Runoffgroove Splitter blend

Rockhorst

The following is also based on Jubal's Schooner, with the options of phase reversal for one side chain (if needed) and a level control:

Nucleon Fusion

(There is a schematic in the build doc)

Boba7

Quote from: Rockhorst on August 03, 2018, 03:04:24 PM
The following is also based on Jubal's Schooner, with the options of phase reversal for one side chain (if needed) and a level control:

Nucleon Fusion

Looks like a good one! The phase reversal seems smart, I dont think I've seen it before. Easy to put on a switch too. Would it work with a bipolar the same way?

Rockhorst

Different pinouts and biasing, but basically yes. There's even circuits out there that use both outputs of a transistor simultaneously, to split the phase or rectify the guitar signal. I had put it on a switch originally but decided to save some pcb real estate. But it's indeed totally possible to make it switchable. A bigger pcb version with all these things (level, phase) outboard is in the pipeline for the next batch of releases. There...that's it for the commercial break ;)

Boba7

Haha no worries, I didnt know about your pcbs, nice!
And thanks for the answer. :)

tehmessiah75

Quote from: Rockhorst on August 03, 2018, 03:04:24 PM

Nucleon Fusion

So what does the phase reversal do?

Thanks everyone for the help too.
Its greatly appreciated  8)

jimilee

Mixing clean and effect signals will sound thin because the signals (partially) cancel each other out. To compensate, the transistor buffer can be rearranged into a gain stage that flips the phase back.

This means that it thickens the sound back up. Have you ever heard out of phase pickups? Tinny cocked wah sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

tehmessiah75

Quote from: jimilee on August 18, 2018, 08:42:04 PM
To compensate, the transistor buffer can be rearranged into a gain stage that flips the phase back.
Is that a 180 or 90 degree phase shift?

I assume 180, but we shouldn't assume!

Rockhorst

Signals 180 degrees out of phase cancel, because the peaks of one sine wave lines up with the throughs of the other (+1 and -1 on together equals zero air displacement). It depends on the effect you're mixing. A good example is the Ross compressor: if you compare the input and output signals, the phase of the output signal is 180 degrees shifted from the input. That isn't much of a problem on its own. But when you mix in the original signal, the two cancel each other out (at least partially). Not all effects have this. It is also something to look out for in dual amp setups. If one amp has its output out of phase with the other one, it sounds thin. Flip phase on one of the two amp and voila: thick tone valhalla.

MJ_Sound_Cubed

♫♪.ılılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılılı.♫♪

MJ Sound Cubed
--------------------------------------------
Community driven website to share your work at soundcubed.com