News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Megatron TMK2601 (3x FV-1 Octagon)

Started by Willybomb, August 05, 2018, 01:03:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willybomb

Gudday all.  Here's Megatron TMK2601.

That's right, 3x FV1, two of those with switches to access the default FV-1 patches, too many knobs, and two thousand, six hundred and one possible combinations of effects.

Thanks to BuGG for all his help and patience with my questions. He soldered the FV-1s and burnt some custom eeproms for me (which he now offers on his site - check it out if you haven't already).

Little wonky with the drilling, but it's all come out fairly good I think.

jubal81

That is seriously impressive. Wow.

How do you know which program is active?
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

cooder

Excellent! I'll get BuGG to do some custom eeproms as well, such a good idea!
How do the bank switches work and what do they do?
Edit: I think I get it, allowing the internal FV-1 programs there by taking out that 10K resistor or so...?
Anyway, how are the default patches in FV-1? Worthwhile addition?
BigNoise Amplification

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Willybomb

QuoteHow do the bank switches work and what do they do?
Edit: I think I get it, allowing the internal FV-1 programs there by taking out that 10K resistor or so...?

Yeah, instead of going to that 10k, it gets sent to ground.  Just having it open seems to work too, and I socketed them to test it out.

Are they worthwhile?  I dunno, they're a bit thin I think, and basically effected reverbs to a large degree but I haven't mucked around with this thing much at all yet.  BuGG did say to me that he didn't think they were that good, and I'd tend to agree, but I wanted to do this because I could, and I don't like having unused features.  The programs can be seen on the datasheet.

http://www.spinsemi.com/Products/datasheets/spn1001/FV-1.pdf

How do you know which program is active?
Generally, you don't!  I'm going to mark in where the patch changes occur on those pots so I can count it off and work it out.

mrclean77

Sheesh - that's a heckuva build - had to be satisfying when you first fired it up.

There's so much going on looking at the face, but it's not too busy-looking. Nice work!

Willybomb

QuoteSheesh - that's a heckuva build - had to be satisfying when you first fired it up.

Haha, it didn't work!  They all worked out of the box, so I knew it had to be something in the wiring.  Turned out there was a dead solder joint on the first footswitch from the input.  Then the first one only did bypass, so it turned out that there was another dead joint on the lug going to the pcb.  Fun times!  But yes, when it finally did work, I was pretty happy.

QuoteThere's so much going on looking at the face, but it's not too busy-looking. Nice work!

It was lucky to even get a name at all - there wasn't much space with all those knobs for any fancy artwork, so I thought listing the patches would be about all I could get on.

diablochris6

Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

Govmnt_Lacky

Smart use of the 9mm pot in the tight area  ;)

stringsthings

All You Need Is Love

selfdestroyer

p_wats

Woah! Very cool. Not sure how I missed this. Impressive and tempting. ;)