News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Any welders here?

Started by madbean, August 08, 2018, 06:54:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

I have some n00b welding questions. Anyone here that can answer them?

EBK

A couple of weeks ago, my wife said to me, "You can weld a bit, right?"  She wanted a laundry basket fixed.

A mischievous grin appeared on my face as I thought this would be a good opportunity for me to learn.  ;D

Alas, over 95% of my answers to whatever welding questions you'd ask would quickly demonstrate how little I know.  I fixed the laundry basket with electrical tape.   :P
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: EBK on August 08, 2018, 07:06:40 AM
A couple of weeks ago, my wife said to me, "You can weld a bit, right?"  She wanted a laundry basket fixed.

A mischievous grin appeared on my face as I thought this would be a good opportunity for me to learn.  ;D

Alas, over 95% of my answers to whatever welding questions you'd ask would quickly demonstrate how little I know.  I fixed the laundry basket with electrical tape.   :P

I suppose my first and only question would be...

How old is your laundry basket that you need to weld it to fix it?  :o

EBK

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on August 08, 2018, 10:33:22 AM

Standard steel laundry basket.  You know:

;D

Not old, and welding would have actually been a bad choice of repair method, unless JB Weld counts.   ;)  It's actually one of those wire frame with canvas bag things, sort of like this:

"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

sonnyboy27

Quote from: EBK on August 08, 2018, 10:50:09 AM
Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on August 08, 2018, 10:33:22 AM

Standard steel laundry basket.  You know:

;D

Not old, and welding would have actually been a bad choice of repair method, unless JB Weld counts.   ;)  It's actually one of those wire frame with canvas bag things, sort of like this:

Thanks for clarifying. I was really curious about this too.

EBRAddict

I watched three or four videos on YouTube, I'm an expert ;D

joltjrs

i'm pretty handy at mig tig and arc not so much on oxy/acetylene. what do you need to know?

thesmokingman

one of the lesser used skills I have but I can weld. let's kick this pig. what's your question(s)?
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

EBK

I hope his questions weren't about welding a laundry basket.  That would be too weird.  :P

stringsthings

All You Need Is Love

Aentons

I bet you wish you could delete this post and start over

matmosphere

Quote from: stringsthings on August 10, 2018, 12:30:21 PM

Dude that album destroyed my needle!!

Sorry Brian, couldn't resist. Hope you got your issue worked out.

madbean

Sorry it took me a while to circle back.

I know there are different types - MIG, TIG, Stick, Flux Core I guess? What I'm interested in is what would be most suitable for a beginner if what I am primarily interested in is welding 1" tubing. IOW, bases for furniture and shop tables. I'd like to get all in with a machine and accessories for under $600. It'll be next year before I start but that's my saving budget goal right now.

jimilee

2 words. Gorilla Glue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

madbean

Quote from: jimilee on August 12, 2018, 10:43:28 AM
2 words. Gorilla Glue.

My gorilla, Mr. Drummond, actually ran away a few months ago.