News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Repair for a friend. Looking for opinions

Started by matmosphere, August 10, 2018, 08:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

I spent a couple hours fixing a Moogerfooger ring mod for a friend. Ended up having a bad voltage regulator. Once I found the schematic, pulled it all apart and probed it for a while replacing the regulator took 5 minutes.

I'm not inclined to charge him for the work other than for the cost of the parts. This is just a hobby for me, but I think he wants to pay me for fixing it. Any thoughts on what a fair price for work like this is?

EBK

Tell him that, if he wants, you'll charge him next time you repair something.   ;)

Things can get weird with figuring a price after the fact instead of negotiating it beforehand. 
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

jimilee

A beer, a lunch. If the regulator wasn't that much, I wouldn't charge for that either. Ask him to pay it forward. Tell him he owes you a favor at a later to be named time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

thesmokingman

most people are pretty agreeable at $20 when it comes to pedals, $50 when it comes to amps.

if they're friendly, I'll ask them what they have lying around that doesn't work or they don't use as well and take that in trade for the parts and labor. once took a deluxe memory man that was missing a power supply and had bad pots (someone actually got superglue in them) in trade for repairing the ground on a tu-2 and modding a blue box
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

stringsthings

All You Need Is Love

pickdropper

Don't charge him, but have him be your Butler for a day.  Like on Seinfeld.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

matmosphere

I just ask for a copy of one of his bands new records.

https://hexadiode.bandcamp.com/album/ibex

Fancy pick record generally win over money in my world anyway.

gordo

It's weird doing repairs for friends.  I end up chalking it up to experience and maybe a beer or lunch or coffee or call in a favor when due.  A big smile when their stuff works again is usually payment enough.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

TNblueshawk

Just saw this thread. Long story short, a few days ago an old work friend of mine who I keep in touch with were talking and she mentioned someone I knew 10 years and worked with at the same place just started working with her at her new place of employment. He was grumbling about a couple of pedals that don't work, one he tried to build, his one and only, and a DMM with Hazari he bought new. Long story short I agreed to fix the pedals. My plan is to charge nothing. He is not a friend of mine, just someone I knew and shot the breeze with for a few years at an old job. I'm meeting him for lunch.

My thoughts are that I just enjoy helping him out really. I also told him while I know I can fix his pedal he tried to build whether I can fix the DMM is another story altogether. I'm thinking about all the wrong things he could have plugged into it. So no promises there. Either way if he buys my lunch good enough. If he doesn't that's fine too. If he tries to offer to pay me I won't accept any money. I like Jimi's idea of just telling him to pay it forward in some kindness to someone. He's kind of a douchy guy at times so I'm not counting on it  :o
John

jimilee

Quote from: TNblueshawk on August 17, 2018, 01:28:13 PM
Just saw this thread. Long story short, a few days ago an old work friend of mine who I keep in touch with were talking and she mentioned someone I knew 10 years and worked with at the same place just started working with her at her new place of employment. He was grumbling about a couple of pedals that don't work, one he tried to build, his one and only, and a DMM with Hazari he bought new. Long story short I agreed to fix the pedals. My plan is to charge nothing. He is not a friend of mine, just someone I knew and shot the breeze with for a few years at an old job. I'm meeting him for lunch.

My thoughts are that I just enjoy helping him out really. I also told him while I know I can fix his pedal he tried to build whether I can fix the DMM is another story altogether. I'm thinking about all the wrong things he could have plugged into it. So no promises there. Either way if he buys my lunch good enough. If he doesn't that's fine too. If he tries to offer to pay me I won't accept any money. I like Jimi's idea of just telling him to pay it forward in some kindness to someone. He's kind of a douchy guy at times so I'm not counting on it  :o
You had me up until the last sentence. Tread lightly and don't let him continue to throw projects your way.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

stringsthings

Instead of fixing the DMM, tell him that it's Kevin Love's fault!  :D
All You Need Is Love

TNblueshawk

Quote from: jimilee on August 17, 2018, 04:03:19 PM
Quote from: TNblueshawk on August 17, 2018, 01:28:13 PM

You had me up until the last sentence. Tread lightly and don't let him continue to throw projects your way.

I hear you Jimi. I can handle this guy. Worst case is I hand them back saying sorry, no bueno.
John